<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Index  

Mild "69" 351 windsor build up

November 30 2005 at 5:01 PM
No score for this post
  (no login)
from IP address 66.82.9.41

I have a "69" Mercury Cougar XR7 Convertible....It's stock except for: Edelbrock performer intake, holly 4 bbl 600 cfm carb, and 3.50 traction loc. Engine was totally rebuilt 5000 miles ago. A friend who owes me some cash just lost his job and wants to pay me off with a set of "New in the box" edelbrock PERFORMER aluminum heads WITH 1.90" INTAKE VALVES(for use with stock pistons,complete #60329 and a MSD Pro-Billet Ready-To-Run Distributor #MSD-8354. These two items cost double what he owes me so I think I'm going to do it. If I'm going to put these heads and dizzy on I should go ahead and do a cam swap! I was thinking of the roller variety...anybody using a comp cams xtreme energy XR264 RF-HR 264 270 212-218 @0.50 513- 513 lift and I'll probably add a set of roller rockers......
any opinions and or info appreciated.

Thanks,

JP

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Fred
(no login)

69 Windsor

No score for this post
November 30 2005, 9:51 PM 

I'd do the exhaust first. That is by far the most restrictive thing on Ford production cars. The heads and cam won't show much improvement until you get duals with at minimum 2 1/2 inch exhaust and some headers or rework the cast iron exhaust manifolds. You can't get in in until you get it out.

JP
(no login)

69 Windsor

No score for this post
November 30 2005, 11:07 PM 

I forgot to mention that I do have dual exhaust going through stock exhaust manifolds.

Bob
(Login machoneman)

The.....

No score for this post
December 1 2005, 5:51 PM 

parts you mentioned will help a lot in waking up your combo. Having some addtional $$$ set aside for headers (long tubes are better but shorties will work) is wise. The cam is a hotter-than-stock but still quite streeable cam for the combo with specs that many have used quite successfully.

Be aware though that in an early non-roller block, adding the OEM style dogbone lifter links, sheet steel spider, hydr. lifters and small base circle cam (required for early blocks) can get somewhat pricey. The other way (still not cheap and potentially even more expensive) is to get a std. base circle roller cam and add Crane's new SBF drop-in hydr. roller lifters. This eliminates the dogbones, spider and spider attachment issues. But, Crane has priced the lifters in the $400+ range. That and a new std. b.c. cam for between $150-$200 does add up to over $600, not including the need (most likely) for new pushrods.

http://www.mustangworks.com/articles/powertrain/LifterConversion.html

ralph d
(no login)

mild 351w

No score for this post
December 2 2005, 3:20 AM 

With those heads, some headers, step up to a performer rpm or better a weiand stealth manifold and a 650-750cfm vac sec carb, I would go one step up on cam, I am currently running a 351w. 9.1 comp Twisted wedge heads,crane retrofit hyd roller cam 212 220 524 646 112 LC's, 1 3/4 ,3/4 length try y's and have run holley projection DI on a torker 2, as well as an rpm, an edelbrock 750 and currently a demon 650 VS speed demon (the best since EFI) and it idles smooth, has massive low end,great nid and I can rev it to 7K but it doesn't really make much power past 5800 or so, I think it drops of at 5500 but it wil rev to 7k, probably because of a properly matched valvespring setup for the hyd roller.

I think for a daily driver 351w with decent heads, I would run a cam around 224 int 234ex @ 0.50, at least 220 @0.50. The comp xe 274 hr is probably optimal for a 351w, with the 112 LDA it will have a slight lope but still pull enough VAC for power brakes and trans modulator, it will kill a slight bit of low end butnot even noticable except you wont smokeem as much off the line yet it will kick ass in the mid and top end.

I'd say that cam, about 9.5 comp,perfromer heads,good headers and exhaust,a good stealth or rpm intake will make 400-425 streetable FWHP and about 400 or so ft lbs of torque all below 5500-5800 rpm.

peak HP should be around 4500-5000 and peak torque around 3500-4000.

Consider a custom cam, it will be milder but make more low end,mid and top than most bigger off the shelf cams and more VAC and better BSFC than off the shelf cams......just my 2 cents

my 67 vert http://htwheelz.smugmug.com

Current Topic - Mild "69" 351 windsor build up
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Index