<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Index  

cam eccentric hits timing cover on 351w. What do I do?

November 5 2006 at 2:21 PM
No score for this post
Paul Lovett  (no login)
from IP address 70.250.203.225

Hey all, I'm buildind a SBF for the first time and have hit a snag. It's a 1984 351w block. I put an Elgin Industries cam and double roller timing chain in it. I have a factory timing cover year unknown.

When I try to put the timing cover on it hits the fuel pump eccentric. The timing gear and fuel pump eccentric seem to stick out about 1/8 inch too far for the timing cover to mate with the block. The fuel pump eccentric is from Ford Racing Parts and is part M-6287-302B if I remember right. I have another eccentric which looks shallower and would probably fit under the timng cover, but it has 7/16" cam bolt hole rather than the 3/8" hole I need for my cam.

Soooooo, what do I do?

1) find a shallower fuel pump eccentric?
2) grind the forward face my existing fuel pump eccentric down so it fits under the timing cover?
3) find a deeper timing cover?
4)???????

Number 2 makes the most sense to me, but like I said this is my first SBF build.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,

Paul Lovett

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan
(no login)

no clearance

No score for this post
November 5 2006, 5:39 PM 

check the oil deflector on inside of cover. 7/16 hole is frpp / 3/8 stock the last i knew eccentric one piece (early) dosnt fit late model upper sprocket

Paul Lovett
(no login)

I checked the oil deflector. It's not hitting there.

No score for this post
November 9 2006, 7:51 AM 

The cam eccentric actually hits the inner face of the timing cover. I can see where because the grease on the eccentric transferred to the timing cover where they contacted. Good thought, though.

Paul

Dan
(no login)

i seen some hit

No score for this post
November 9 2006, 9:53 PM 

then like the last part of my post siad you got the wrong eccentric. can machine cam sprocket to gain clearence if have to run 1 pc.

ralph d
(no login)

Mine did it too

No score for this post
November 5 2006, 8:44 PM 

my first 351w had that problem as well as I used the wrong cam thrust plate, what a mess as mine went together, Do yourself a favor and take off the eccentric and install an electric fuel pump, if yo want the stock look just install the mech pump and leave it there for looks less the eccentric.

Choco
(no login)

Re: Mine did it too

No score for this post
November 6 2006, 3:08 AM 

Same here, check your cam retianing/thrust plate.
I had a similar issue and it was because i hadn't grinded of the metal around the thrust plate so that it cleared the thicker cam gear.
Easy to check. tighten the cam bolt and see if you can still turn the cam.

Cheers
Choco

bmcdaniel
(no login)

No score for this post
November 6 2006, 9:08 AM 

I too had the same issue using a 1-piece eccentric with a late timing set. Comparing the late cam sprocket with an early one I found the late sprocket to be .100" thicker so I milled .100" of the face of the sprocket.

Gregg/Ohio
(no login)

No score for this post
November 6 2006, 10:17 PM 

Your problem lies with the fact that you have a mismatch of Timing gear set,and the 1 piece fuel pump cup. Your Cam gear was for the 2 piece cup!,Unless you have a really hot motor (550+HP)The 2 piece cup is just fine. About 10 dollars at your local parts store. Gregg M.

Gregg/Ohio
(no login)

No score for this post
November 7 2006, 9:21 PM 

Sorry,but I failed to add,(In the above post) You must use the short camshaft dowel pin,when you use the two piece fuel pump cup.

Paul Lovett
(no login)

What local parts store did you find the two-piece eccentric at?

No score for this post
November 9 2006, 7:59 AM 

I haven't had any luck finding a new two-piece eccentric at the local parts stores. That sounds like the easiest fix if I can find one.

Paul

Paul Lovett
(no login)

That might be what I need to do.

No score for this post
November 9 2006, 7:57 AM 

I thought I had an early timing gear set, but maybe I don't. It looks like I'll either have to mill the early model eccentric or get a late model two-piece eccentric. Thanks.

Paul

Paul Lovett
(no login)

Cam turns okay when bolt torqued down.

No score for this post
November 9 2006, 7:55 AM 

So I don't think there are any interference issues between the thrust plate and timing gear. Thanks for the idea anyway.

Paul

Paul Lovett
(no login)

No electric fuel pump for me.

No score for this post
November 9 2006, 7:53 AM 

Doesn't make sense for this mild application. That would solve the problem once and for all, though.

Paul

Mouse
(no login)

See this compcams instruction sheet.

No score for this post
November 11 2006, 6:12 PM 

Interesting.
Read at the bottom of page 3 and the top of page 4

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Instructions/Files/179.pdf

Paul Lovett
(no login)

Thanks. That is good info.

No score for this post
November 13 2006, 7:30 PM 

I will check my cam retaining plate to see which style it is. I don't think it is hitting the timing gear anywhere, but I'll double check.

Today, I took my one piece fuel pump eccentric to work work and ground about 3/16" off of the front face of it. It now fits under the timing cover with maybe 1/16" clearance. I think I'm good to go now, but I'm still curious as to how this situation comes about. I think I may have a late model timing gear which combined with my early style one piece cam eccentric is just too thick to fit under the timing cover.

It's interesting to note that I also have another one piece eccentric, except it is for 7/16" bolt FRRP cams as opposed to my 3/8" bolt cam. The eccentric for the 7/16" bolt is not as thick and looks like it would fit under the timing cover okay.

Paul

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Index