<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Index  

351 for dirt track racing

June 9 2011 at 11:47 PM
  (Login racingc)
from IP address 108.70.23.149

i'm new here and i joined because i dont know s*** about s*** i think some of you guys are probably experts on what i need to know so here it is. my hart was broken when i found out i couldnt use a cleveland, but i want to stick with a ford so i need to know all the tricks of the trade for a windsor, block years, heads, cams, cranks, and so on here is a link to the rules of my track i will be in b mod and i cant spend a whole lot just enoughf to win lol
looking forward to knowledge
thanks
chris
http://valleyspeedway.com/Documents/2011%20Valley%20B%20Mod%20Rules.pdf
you might have to copy and paste this link

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan
(no login)

Engine

June 10 2011, 3:16 AM 

engine rules are hard to read . what track , town & state there site will be easy to read (hope). Cleveland heads , firts thing the bow tie babys want banned

Respond to this message   
Bob
(Login machoneman)

Odd...

June 10 2011, 10:28 AM 

there is no mention (unless I missed it) on camshaft type or specs. Does this mean it's unlimited (roller, hydro roller, any lift/duration)?

Actually, any late model hydro roller 351W block, crank and rods would be IMHO equal to any other block assembly. Skip the very early 4-bolt main blocks since at this level of hp they aren't needed and really aren't much stronger. They are also commonly available (read: cheap). Still thinking about the best head....like GT-40, GT-40P, early Windsor 351 heads. Lots to consider here. What's the engine/header/intake and machining budget? Any claimer rules?

This message has been edited by machoneman from IP address 67.176.173.103 on Jun 10, 2011 10:29 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login MsgtJoe)

There is not a way to win with the head selections

June 10 2011, 12:04 PM 

required. Ford doesn't have a production inline valve head that will flow enough air to make it competitive in that venue. If you cannot use the SVO iron head, you are wasting your energy and time, IMO. I have tweaked many heads and intakes for Late Model stockers, and the largest production intake valve for those engines listed is 1.840" No porting allowed and even if you install a 1.940" intake valve in the GT-40/P/351W head, you will not flow 200 cfm. The chev heads available will flow 230-240 stock. BTDT too many times. Joe-JDC.

Respond to this message   
Dan
(no login)

Head rule

June 10 2011, 1:28 PM 

agree , if you can't use the FRPP N head or the Cleveland 2V head engine will not be compe+titive

Respond to this message   
chris
(Login racingc)

Re: 351 for dirt track racing

June 10 2011, 1:49 PM 

How about the n352 heads doese anyone anyone know about them or are those svo heads the more I here from people the more I think it will be a chevy insted of a ford

Respond to this message   

(Login MsgtJoe)

N351/N352 are considered

June 10 2011, 8:03 PM 

SVO heads here. I think you should ask BEFORE you start the project. Go to the track inspector, and ask that specific question. A N-352 head and a performer intake for the 351W can make about 550-560 HP with proper preparation and attention to detail. However, a $400.00 claimer on the heads would stop me in my tracks, you cannot buy one head for that and put valves in it. Some things in life are not worth the expense, headaches, just to be stubborn and say "I can make it work"! A 361 CI chev will be hard to beat since that has been the mainstay of circle track dirt racing for so many years. JMO, Joe-JDC.

Respond to this message   
Dan
(no login)

N352

June 11 2011, 4:07 AM 

is the same as N351's with a smaller port . No claim rule , buy the N heads , use them . Track inspectors don't know what Ford heads look like .

Respond to this message   
Bob
(Login machoneman)

Funny....

June 13 2011, 9:27 AM 

as the first thing I thought of was the Sportsman's block and N series heads, but quickly put them put of my head and didn't even comment as neither were production parts.

Like the idea though of sneaking them on and trusting that the track's tech crew wouldn't have the slightest idea. But, like I said before and mentioned above, claimer rules would also kill this idea.

Agree with Joe that unless the N heads are used, one would be at a severe disadvantage to the SBC crowd that has a ton of various OEM heads they could run.

Respond to this message   

(Login machoneman)

See current Circle Track articles on Ford's N-series block and heads

June 18 2011, 11:51 AM 

http://www.circletrack.com/enginetech/ctrp_1004_ford_351_engine_block/index.html

Some pretty good stuff here although it may not help our poster.

Respond to this message   

(Login MsgtJoe)

Yes, I've worked with the new head, and

June 18 2011, 7:48 PM 

it is hard to do anything with if you have to keep it stock appearing. It is extremely heavy for what it is, and the metal is very hard. It is not easy to port for any other application, and because it is so hard to work with, I do not recommend it for any other type of racing. I would use an aftermarket head where iron is specified. The Windsor SR can be ported to flow near 330 cfm with a 2.05 intake valve---a far cry from 241 of the N351. Joe-JDC.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Cylinder block drawing

June 19 2011, 1:56 AM 

Does anyone know where one could get a (legible) copy of the cylinder block blueprint Charlie Long is holding in the first picture of the Circle Track article?

Respond to this message   
Bob
(Login machoneman)

One....

June 19 2011, 12:23 PM 

might try the Ford Racing website directly (the Ford site has links) and contact them. Or, this link has Charlie Long's phone #:

http://www.circletrack.com/enginetech/ctrp_1006_ford_351_boss_engine_build/rocker_arms_carburetor.html

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Five bolt cylinder block drawing

June 21 2011, 1:03 AM 

I began to go into this a little and then realized the info I want is the bellhousing drawing for the five bolt engine, so obviously the 1965 up six bolt info is not useful.

I have a five bolt bellhousing whose transmission bearing retainer bore some "clever" fellow enlarged with a die grinder, by the look of it. Presumably this was to fit the later transmission with its larger retainer.

I want to locate this bellhousing by its dowel holes on a milling machine, then clean up the bodged bore. I will then make up a ring to push into this new cleaned up bore, to restore the unit to original specs.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - 351 for dirt track racing
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Index