Octane boost and what grade of gas do you useApril 7 2012 at 9:54 AM
|mike (Login thelamberts73)|
from IP address 22.214.171.124
73 Mustang, c6, 3.50 gears 4v closed chamber flat tops. I have total advance at 36 degrees. Weekend cruiser.
I always run premium, which here in AZ means 91 and I have added super 104 for as long as I can remember. I get a little pinging sometimes and can probably fix it by slowing the advance curve since I have a lot of initial timing.
But yesterday I was running low on gas amd didn't have any super 104 in the trunk (I usually carry a spare bottle). So I filled her up with 91 octane and figured I would just drive less agressivly on the way home. I really figured it would start to ping real easy. But the weird thing is, it seemed to not really ping at all. I even got on it a few times and couldn't hear the ping.
I will do some more experimenting today but I am curious as to what gas/octane boost combo you guys use, if any. Super 104 isn't cheap and I know that previous engine setups (2v open chamber) would ping like crazy without it.
- 104* - Carl on Apr 7, 2012, 11:06 AM
- A couple gallons of Av Gas - Roo on Apr 7, 2012, 11:49 AM
- 104 booster....... - DAVID on Apr 7, 2012, 7:42 PM
- No booster - Falcon67 on Apr 10, 2012, 2:06 PM
- I mix in a little...... - FastE on Apr 11, 2012, 10:15 AM
- Re: Octane boost and what grade of gas do you use - mick on Apr 11, 2012, 9:34 PM
- Need octane booster? - j deryke on Apr 12, 2012, 2:21 PM
- water/steam - mark on Apr 21, 2012, 4:58 PM
- this was posted on the FE forum. - Dan Nelson on Apr 22, 2012, 10:31 PM
- do u have e85 around you? - Ryan on Apr 24, 2012, 5:31 PM