Return to Index  

Re: Embarrassing Admissions

May 3 2012 at 5:41 PM
wydendorf  (Login winkmiester)
4V
from IP address 4.154.133.31

Response to Embarrassing Admissions

George, the problem is that most don't understand because they think bigger is always better. They don't understand that the big stroke motors just fry the small street tires and don't allow the car to hook up. Unless you are going to put a combination together (notice I said the word combination) that includes race tires bigger than 12 inches wide, the stroker is a waste of money. Yea you can put a looser converter or slipper clutch to make it work with smaller tires but are you gaining anything? The slipping clutch/converter is still a compromise to make a combination work and most street guys just want to put it together and not have to work on it. I got into a disagreement with a bracket racer on this forum because he said his car did not go any faster with a roller cam. If you are not going to twist the rpms higher than 7000 then yes a roller may not be for you. But if you go 8000 or more you need the valve spring pressure that comes with using a roller cam to control the heavy 351c valves. Also above 7000 rpms is where a single plane intake like the torker will outdo the dual plane intake. Think about this for a minute-a 351c with stock stroke at 7000 rpms will move as much air as a 400 inch motor at 6000 rpms without the tire frying torque. I have been going to the drag strip for over 42 years and the only stroker that would out perform a stock stroke combination without a tube chassis and drag slicks smaller than 12 inches wide, that I have seen, is a Boss 302. I did not intend for this post to sound condesending but more for info for the guys that are on the fence, trying to decide which way to go. I built a 404 inch 351c modified motor back in 1978, but the small tire limited the advantage of the extra cubic inches and I know that both tire technology and clutch/converter technology have changed. And for those that doubt that my car hooked up good, back in 1977, we went to a Jack Roush Performance test session at Milan Dragway and my car went the first 50 feet in 1.35 seconds versus the fastest SS/I car in the country going 1.29 in the same test session. These times were with my car having 10 1/2" tires versus the SS/I car having 14 x32'S. This was long before the sanctioning bodies decided to use 60 foot clocks. The underlying truth is that street tires don't hook up as good as slicks did back in the late 1970's, so unless it has really good hooking slicks, you will probably be faster with the smaller engine.

www.lifterboretools.com

This message has been edited by winkmiester from IP address 4.229.192.102 on May 13, 2012 3:13 PM
This message has been edited by winkmiester from IP address 4.154.133.31 on May 3, 2012 5:48 PM
This message has been edited by winkmiester from IP address 4.154.133.31 on May 3, 2012 5:44 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement