Return to Index  

Well.....

May 26 2012 at 1:05 PM
Brent Lykins, B2 Motorsports  (Login blykins)
from IP address 166.147.118.147

Response to Less is more theory is always a hard sell .

Since I didn't give any lobe specs, it's kinda hard to plot the curves. However the single pattern cams work very well for street engines. If those graphs are accurate, you see that the average horsepower is higher along with average torque. Less duration split is less overlap. If I remember correctly my cam had either the same amount of overlap or one degree less than George's cam.

Anytime you can make more peak horsepower, more average horsepower, and have more streetability, it's a win-win situation. Another thing to mention is that engines don't look at graphs or use simulations... wink.gif

I'm also not into the "more, baby more" way of thinking. I'm actually quite the opposite. Generally, less is better. Just because my suggested cam was 4-5° larger than George's really doesn't mean much. I generally aim for a certain hp peak and then put a lot of stock into what the engine "needs".

Dan didn't plot my cam specs against the Dynomation "optimized" cam, but it looks like my cam had more average torque and pretty similar numbers for average and peak hp.

The dyno may tell some tales, but putting the cams into actual engines that are in cars would tell more tales. Throttle response, idle quality, fuel efficiency, vacuum, and seat of the pants feel are all traits of a good cam.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

This message has been edited by blykins from IP address 74.134.178.200 on May 26, 2012 1:37 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses