Return to Index  

Valve train adjustment...

June 28 2012 at 10:37 PM
Dave  (Login rancherodave)
from IP address 67.248.26.84

Hey guys it has been a while since I posted here, but if any of you remember me, I was having a 410 cleveland stroker built for my 72 ranchero. The thing runs great and it ended up making 560hp off the crank, and the best I could get out of it so far was a 12.1 in the quarter with tire slipping on 28x11.5 dot slicks. So today I took the car to work with me which is about a 15 mile drive on the highway, and it ran great to and from work. So when I got home and pulled in the drive way, I all a sudden got this whining noise from the engine which kind of sounded like a super charger, then it went away. I know that my valves are in bad need of adjustment, and I am trying to get the guy who built the motor to do it for me, hopefully this weekend he could do it as I popped off the driver side valve cover and the first rocker arm on the driver side is so loose that I could almost move the push rod up and down which is not good. There is a solid roller cam in the motor, and I am also running top end girdles with the top of the line arp rocker studs. I am wondering if it could have been the alternator, as the pulley is a bit wobbly, or the power steering pump or even water pump becasue I could not re create the noise. Will a valve train that is that way out of adjustment do something like this? Well let me know what you all think.

Respond to this message   
Responses