Return to Index  

My Build

March 26 2013 at 9:26 PM
Klutch  (Login ColoradoKlutch)
from IP address 50.152.27.154

In case anyone is interested, I'm beginning a Cleveland build. I learned a lot reading these forums over the past couple of years. I really appreciate all the information and help.

My engine is the orignal from my 1970 Mach 1 with a shaker. I plan to bolt a 5-speed behind it and run something like a 3:70 rear gear. It's an H-Code 2v.

I considered getting a set of 4V heads. But there are two 1970 Mach 1s with 4V Clevelands in my Mustang club and both owners complain their cars are complete dogs at lower RPMs. And both engines are mostly stock. I think this is because we live at over 6,000 feet above sea level. So, I believe you guys when you say if you build a Cleveland right, the 4V heads will scream. But it seems high altitude really changes things.

I found a set of Aussie heads on Craigslist for a good price and picked those up. They were already machined and had adjustable, screw-in rocker studs with Boss 302 pushrod guides installed. They also came with a set of roller rockers. But the rockers are big block Chevy examples. I'm going to sell those to a bowtie guy and get a set of actual Cleveland roller rockers. What do you think of the Lunati rockers?

I called Bullet last week to order a cam. Wow, those guys are great! The guy who answered the phone is the guy who took my order and, I think, will actually grind the cam. Love those smaller shops. He asked me a lot of questions and I told him I wanted to do local cruising and long drives; hoping to open it up on remote roads through the Rocky Mountains. Surprisingly, he asked if I was opposed to a solid lifter cam. I told him I actually like the old school "Rat-A-Tat-Tat" from solid lifters and don't mind adjusting them. I also said a choppy idle wasn't an objective, but I didn't care if did have a choppy idle. He strongly recommended a solid lifter cam. So I said OK. Here's the cam he recommended:

238/248 @.050
Lift: .558 intake .580 exhaust
112 separation
CL 108

I admit I dont know what that really means. But I get the impression the guys at Bullet really know what they're doing. Funny, the guy at Bullet said I was the complete opposite of most people who insist on a hydraulic cam and just want a choppy idle. I asked about a roller cam. He said for my needs a roller cam really wouldn't do anything for me, but it would cost a lot more. I don't mind running a ZDDP oil.

I think I'm going to have to run an Edelbrock Performer 2V intake because of my shaker. If anyone knows how to run an Edelbrock Air Gap with a shaker, I'd be interested to know.

I'm also taking a hard look at a Quick Fuel carb. I'd like something with a choke and annular boosters.

I plan to have my original distributor rebuilt and curved Daytona Performance. I know the points will work fine. But I'll likely go with a Pertronix, or something similar. I don't like messing with points. I've seen mention of the Duraspark II and would like to know more about it and if it would be a good choice for me.

My machinist ordered a Speed Pro rebuild kit with hypereutectic pistons. All the forged pistons he found were very expensive. I'm thinking those pistons will be fine for my needs.

I would appreciate suggestions for headers. I ran Hooker Competition headers years ago and liked them. But I'm hearing those are now made overseas and the quality isn't what it used to be.

I'd love to hear comments, questions or criticisms. Thanks!

This message has been edited by ColoradoKlutch from IP address 50.152.27.154 on Mar 26, 2013 9:59 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses