Return to Index  

If you use the right grout and mix it right, it will work

August 20 2013 at 2:41 PM
denny wydendorf  (Login winkmiester)
4V
from IP address 4.154.134.61

Response to Ok who has suffered Cleveland cylinder wall failure???

I too have split a few cylinder walls,at least 3 or 4. None of the problems I had, were with dropped valves or any engine failure. I had the most trouble in the early 1980's before I started to use embecco 885 grout or a full round skirted piston. Another Super Stock racer, Kip Martin told a bunch of us at the U.S. Nationals in the mid 1980's about using Embecco 636 grout to fill blocks with. It is my understanding that the embecco 885 grout replaced the 636 grout. I also heard that that stuff was first made to be used on the launch pads for Nasa to withstand the blast of their Rockets. At that time, Kip Martin had a machine shop in Kansas that was near the hotbed of NHRA stock and Super Stock racing. I also had talked to several other Comp and Super Stock racers aboout using grout and they all gave me good ideas about using it. I have previously have posted some of the things I did and don't have the time to rehash them right now.
When we would rehoned the blocks, you could see the area that was not filled with the first few swipes of the hone,so in my opinion the fill worked good. After I started filling blocks along with using a round skirted piston, I never split another cylinder wall for probably at least 300 runs, making over 500 horsepower at over 8500 rpms in a drag race engine using stock 351c blocks. The last block I filled, was still used this summer, and is in a drag race car and is now at least .070 over stock 351c block. Also last time on the dyno, it made over 600 horsepower.

www.lifterboretools.com

This message has been edited by winkmiester from IP address 4.154.134.61 on Aug 20, 2013 2:43 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses