<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

O/T a bit - AOD trouble

May 5 2012 at 1:25 PM

James K  (Login 351CRanger)
from IP address 76.230.66.226

[linked image]

I have a Volvo with an '88 Mustang GT 302 & AOD. The trans has worked well. In fact, it has shifted VERY firmly since I have had it. I don't know if it has a shift kit in in, higher line pressure, or what. I know practically nil about autos, and don't like them, unless in a drag race vehicle. This is a street car.
Yesterday, I made a hard run up into third at one point. The next time I took off from a traffic light (at a normal rate), the tranny seemed like it skipped 2nd gear and went right to 3rd. As the engine pulled up into it's better torque production area, it felt like the trans had disconnected, or it or the torque converter was slipping 100%. Easing off to extremely light throttle, the tranny seemed to be once again delivering power to the ground. When it eventually got going fast enough to shift into 4th/OD, it seemed okay. The fluid looked clean, and it was full, when I checked it.
Maybe I burnt something up, something broke, the TV cable slipped out of adjustment. I don't know. I'm going to take a look around today for anything obvious, but thought I would ask around here, since I know some of you run AODs. My first instinct is to try to swap in my 5 speed. Since this is my daily driver, and I have a fairly lengthy commute every day, I would like to avoid that. Something that involved would mean driving my semi-race C powered vehicle back and forth every day, in all weather, until getting a possible swap done. Swapping in a C4 or C6 is a possible option, but the thing has 3.89 gears, and I already have about the tallest tires on it that I can fit. I'd hate to give up that much gear and loose that much fuel economy.
Thanks to any and all who have suggestions of things to check.

A Visigoth explains the sack of Rome: We wanted art, literature...culture! We're sorry we broke some stuff.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Roo
(Login TwoTab)
Moderators

Early skip shift, most likely throttle pressure cable

May 5 2012, 3:18 PM 

Hits me everytime I change a carb. I've never set it with a pressure guage like the books suggest, but by shift quality.

Respond to this message   

James K
(Login 351CRanger)

Phew!!!

May 6 2012, 9:51 AM 

[linked image]

Looks like the little 24 year old plastic bushing that holds the TV cable in the throttle swivel was past it's prime. It broke when I whacked the throttle and the cable dropped out of the swivel. Shifts good again.
Thanks Roo and Nick.

A Visigoth explains the sack of Rome: We wanted art, literature...culture! We're sorry we broke some stuff.

Respond to this message   

Nick
(Login dodgestang65)

I had something similar happen once

May 5 2012, 9:10 PM 

And I desplined 3rd gear. 1, 2, and od worked, but when it tried for 3rd nothing.

Nick
http://www.dodgestang.com

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index