Kotletai

by

Spelling is Kotletai (I am a former Lithuanian teacher). I cannot give a specific recipe for Kotletai for there were no recipes in our house. Mama would say no recipe is needed just take a little of this, throw in a little of that, and would scold me, "Tavo pirstai nelimpa"...your fingers don't stick! So here is what my Mama would have said to you - (back in the 50s and 60s she would have probably mixed pork and beef, and it is ok to do so, but she got calorie conscious)- take some breadcrumbs - pour in some milk or water until the liquid is soaked up and forms a paste. Meanwhile chop a large white onion. For 3 lbs of ground beef (80%), mix in the onion, the breadcrumbs, 2 eggs, salt and pepper to taste and form into nice thick hamburger patties and fry in some olive oil (toward the end of her life she would just broil them! and they were delicious).

Serve with mashed potatoes, a mushroom gravy and green beans or asparagus or broccoli. Simple and to die for.

Try making mashed potatoes with butternut squash - 3 parts potatoes, one part butternut squash and mash with milk, salt, pepper and butter.

Posted on Dec 22, 2009, 9:13 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement