~ Return to 'Son Of Xweb' here ~

Return to > DF  

GABRIEL STRUT CARTRIDGES / Cutting Front Springs

February 22 2005 at 9:55 PM

Response to "Best Of Xweb" (aka Site Content FAQ) - contributions welcome

GABRIEL STRUT CARTRIDGE No. G 44733
April 11 2004 at 10:16 PM
Tony Natoli  

If you find that your struts are indeed rebuildable... (with a two pin spanner nut inside the tower where the strut rod exits the tower.)  This is a GOOD low cost solution for your X1/9.

I found CARPARTS.COM carries them for 39.95 apiece and they are said to be in cahoots with JCWhitney... which lists all their strut catridges for 29.95 each... but no listings for a FIAT!  I purchased mine from Pep Boys for about 29 bucks apiece.  These cartridges will fit all four corners.

If you need rebuildable struts, Giant Auto has them but they will need to have their springs removed for a reasonable shipping cost.  Call 800-424-4677 and ask for Derrick.

Also... to lower the front end 1 inch at the bumper... cut one full coil off the bottom of the spring.  To lower the front end 2 inches, cut 1 and 1/4 coil of the bottom of the spring.  A two inch drop will give you a loose spring when the car is jacked up, but I have encountered no problems with it on the ground...  A 2 inch drop actually lowers the front end of the rocker panel 1/4 inch lower that the rear of the rocker, giving the X a nice nose down stance... (for the first time in its life...) with equal-sized tires all around.

My best,

Tony
http://www.socalx.com/x19/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-598

Responses

Xweb 'Calling All Cars' Bulletins:
Be sure to add yourself to Xweb's Registry and User Map
Xweb BUG REPORT/Q&A can help you get around!
Want Xweb's latest threads on your site? Click
Special section: X1/99 Concept forum

Xweb Forums Contacts:
Forums Moderators: Eric, Greg, Mark moderators AT x19web.org
Site Maintenance: Mac seattlex19 AT fastmail.fm
User Registry: Mark H markyharris AT gmail.com
User Map: Andrew rooy AT new.rr.com

XANA Homepage:
x19web.org
Login|Logoff
Xweb 101
Best of ...