~ Return to 'Son Of Xweb' here ~

Return to > DF  

Back on the Road Today: The Good and the Bad

May 3 2008 at 12:00 AM

I've been making slow progress getting my 76 X back in working order and finally got it to the point that I could put it on the road today. I bought the car in the late 80's, drove it for a couple years, then sold it to my dad, who let it pretty much rot in his driveway. My son bought it from him last year and we've been slowly bringing it back (OK, really mostly me since he didn't seem to pick up much of my mechanical interest).

I got it licensed a couple months ago and I've been starting it regularly and running it as I've been working on other projects. It has always run pretty well, especially considering how long it sat. So today, I finally got insurance on it and finished up putting in the new carpet and decided it was time to take it for a spin.

It's not that I'd forgotten that the X was fun to drive, I just didn't remember how much. I ran a few errands, mostly looking around for a new e-brake boot to use and had a blast. That was the good.

Now for the bad. Later in the afternoon when my kids got home from school, I took my daughter out for a spin. I got about 1/2 mile from home and the engine suddenly lost power. It didn't quit, but when it was under load it would run rough and bog down, then would come back when I put in the clutch and let off the gas. I limped home and popped the hood, but didn't see anything obvious that would have cause it. I put fresh fuel in earlier in the day so I don't think that's the issue.

Now I'm bummed, since it always ran well when I couldn't drive it, and now that I can, it's not running.

Help! Any ideas?

Jeff
Tacoma, WA

Respond to this message   
Responses

Xweb 'Calling All Cars' Bulletins:
Be sure to add yourself to Xweb's Registry and User Map
Xweb BUG REPORT/Q&A can help you get around!
Special section: X1/99 Concept forum

Xweb Forums Contacts:
Forums Moderators: Moderators moderators AT xwebforums.org
User Registry: Mark H markyharris AT gmail.com
User Map: Andrew rooy AT new.rr.com

XANA Homepage:
x19web.org
Login|Logoff
Xweb 101
Best of ...