~ Return to 'Son Of Xweb' here ~

Return to > DF  

it's a competition

August 28 2008 at 2:59 PM
Bruce 

Response to The seller has every right to expect to get a good deal

I agree, up to a point.

But remember that any time you sell a car, you're in competition with a lot of other uses for that money. And at some price point thereabouts $5k, you cross over into very steep competition with the MR2, later Fieros, and a whole forest of Brit cars that have legions of dedicated parts suppliers behind them. Not to mention the front-engine Porsches I like so much.

Quick example: I recently bought a very strong '86 944 for a buddy to turn into a race car, and it's nearly perfect. 90k miles, gorgeous original paint, no rust, never hit, never tracked, complete service history back to the original window sticker, recent belts, rollers, etc., cold A/C, perfect black leather interior, no dash cracks, etc. It's the end of the summer, you know, and it ended up in my driveway for $5k. I don't think he'll chop it up for a race car once he sees it, though. Still, for $5k, who knows?

So from my perspective, an X1/9 of the same year that needs any kind of work at all, coming anywhere near that magic $5k mark is wild. Not to say it can't/won't happen, but around $5k, the competition stiffens up quite a lot and an X car is going to have to not just show exceptionally well, or have exceptional potential, but to grab my stash it would have to actually be exceptional inside and out, top to bottom, interior, exterior, suspension, engine, trans, shocks, you name it.

But feel free to ignore me ... I've owned a few X's but never paid more than $2k for one, even back when they were two or three years old (I paid $500 for a '75 back in '79 ... talk about depreciation!). It was painful to pay $1k for this '74, but it was so sweet I couldn't resist. My next hands-on project is an E-Type coupe, so there you have it -- proof of insanity. Imagine your worst enemy in the world was a car enthusiast, and you wanted to inflict the most agony and the biggest project car nightmare on him. You'd pick an E-Type every time.

Bruce
(the bearing guy)

Respond to this message   
Responses

Xweb 'Calling All Cars' Bulletins:
Be sure to add yourself to Xweb's Registry and User Map
Xweb BUG REPORT/Q&A can help you get around!
Special section: X1/99 Concept forum

Xweb Forums Contacts:
Forums Moderators: Moderators moderators AT xwebforums.org
User Registry: Mark H markyharris AT gmail.com
User Map: Andrew rooy AT new.rr.com

XANA Homepage:
x19web.org
Login|Logoff
Xweb 101
Best of ...