~ Return to 'Son Of Xweb' here ~

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >> Return to > DF  

Key blanks?

August 28 2008 at 7:33 AM

Hi i'm looking to get a couple of extra keys made, and am wondering if anyone know where to get them? I found this link on Ebay, one looks like mine but i'm not sure...

Any thoughts?

http://cgi.cafr.ebay.ca/Fiat-Magneti-Marelli-Ignition-key-Blank-New-OE-Letter-M_W0QQitemZ190246138978QQihZ009QQcategoryZ40016QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Hey Dany... Here is a post from Rudy that is 2 years old...

August 28 2008, 8:35 AM 

... But they may also be another resourse still.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1163710666/Key+blanks

There use to be a site on Ebay that we all used sometime ago and I believe they were indeed out of Australia that proved to be economical and reliable.  I don't know if these are the same folks and so far, I've been unable to find them.

http://search.ebay.com/fiat-key-blanks_W0QQcatrefZC5QQdfspZ32QQfclZ3QQfromZR7QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ32QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsacatZQ2d1QQsofocusZbs

Here's the search I did... and it would appear that these Australian folks are indeed the ones I was thinking of.  The Connecticut folks appear knowledgeable and maybe some close-up fotos and some e-mails back and forth might land us another supplier.  I don't know where Williamsport is... but why not try contacting them all?

Also... it has been my experience to sometimes "trip over" some blanks in older establishments that still have them in stock... like an old "Mom & Pop" hardware store.

I actually found some at a well established Kragen Parts store.

Good luck and let us know what you come across.  If its good, please post it in the Best Of section under Rudy's post... and notify us here also.  Thanks!

My best,

Tony
Black Tooth and me... since 1983!

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the views of the sender, or, for that matter, any other carbon-based life form; Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; All models are 18 years of age or older; Dry clean only, do not use bleach, Tumble dry and remove immediately; Do not bend, fold, staple or mutilate; Anchovies, cheese or jalapenos may be added to orders upon request for an additional charge; Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt to duplicate; Your actual mileage may vary; No substitutions are allowed; Available for a limited time only while supplies last; Offers are void where prohibited by law; Humor is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied; The user assumes full liabilities and originator is not liable for damages due to use or misuse; We are an equal opportunity employer, with no regard to race, religion, sex, or sexual preference; No shoes, no shirt, no service; Read at your own risk; This post may contain material some may find to be objectionable; Parental advisory: Explicit lyrics; keep away from pets and small children; limit one-per-family please; No money down; No purchase necessary; Ask us about our guns-for-dope trade-in plan; You need not be present to win; Some assembly required; Batteries not included; Action figures sold separately; Contents were packed full at the factory, but may have settled during shipping; Peanuts and peanut products are produced in this establishment and also consumed by the author; Sanitized and sealed for your protection; Do not use if safety seal is broken; Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment; Safety goggles may be required during use; Use gloves when handling; Call before you dig; Use only with proper ventilation; For external use only, if a swelling, redness, rash, or irritation develops, discontinue use; Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source; Keep away from open flames; Avoid inhaling fumes or contact with mucous membranes; Contents under pressure, may explode if incinerated; Smoking may be hazardous to your health; No smoking allowed, except in designated areas; The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; Text is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; No animals were harmed while writing this post; No salt, MSG, preservatives, artificial color or flavor added; If ingested, do not induce vomiting, If symptoms persist, consult a comedian; Ribbed for your pleasure, slippery when wet; Must be 18 to enter; No one under 21 allowed; We check IDs to age 40; Seniors Welcome; Ask for our Senior Menu; Present discount coupons to cashier before totaling; An 18% gratuity will be added to the total for parties of 8 or more; We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Return all carts to the store; No dogs allowed, except for the visually impaired; Penalties for early withdrawal, one size fits all; Offer is valid only at participating sites; Prices slightly higher west of the Rockies; Allow four to six weeks for delivery; If defects are found, do not attempt a repair, return to an authorized service center; Please remain seated until the vehicle has come to a complete stop; Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear; Fasten seat belts; In the unlikely event of a loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will fall from above, cover your face first, then assist those around you. Your seat cushion may be used as a floatation device. This disclaimer is invalid in the event of hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, sonic booms, vibration, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts or any other act of war, unauthorized repair, improper installation, misuse, typos, misspelled words, missing or altered signatures, and incidents owing to computer or disk failure, accidental file deletions, and Acts of God. Other restrictions may, or may not apply.

Respond to this message   

ChrisInAlaska

I had good luck at ...

August 28 2008, 9:24 AM 

Keys4classics

http://www.keys4classics.com/html/FiatX19.html
Ordered 2 sets for the '87 and had them in hand and cut within a week.

Aftermarket to be sure, but for $6 for the black plastic version and $4 for the plain metal, I figure it was a deal. Shipping costs were good too.

Not sure if they are the same guys that Tony's talking about, but they are in Australia as well.

'87

Respond to this message   
Dany

Ok I placed the order there: 16$

August 28 2008, 9:38 AM 

Shipping included (to Canada)

We'll see if service/product is good

Respond to this message   

try a local locksmith

August 28 2008, 11:30 AM 

I went to an old locksmith (Cincinnati) last week and had two sets made. He had a wide selection of key blanks hanging on his wall including Fiat. You might try a locksmith in your area who has been around for a long time.

JimV

Respond to this message   

Re: Key blanks?

August 28 2008, 1:49 PM 

A couple months ago I just walked into my local locksmith, handed him my keys and he walked to a wall full of blanks and pulled two off after about 5 seconds of looking. I was out the door a couple minutes later. I had heard the blanks might be hard to come by but you couldn't tell it by me.

Jeff
Tacoma, WA

Respond to this message   

Home Depot!!!

August 28 2008, 6:14 PM 

I got lucky and found key blanks at Home Depot for my 87 x1/9. The key blank manufacturer is Ilco. Made in USA. Ignition key is stamped with "X109" on top upper left and part# FT43 on top right. The glove box key blank part# is FT38.

Lou Teresi
74 x1/9
87 x1/9

Respond to this message   

2 key blanks at Home Depot, $3

August 28 2008, 6:17 PM 

Happy hunting.

Lou Teresi
74 x1/9
87 x1/9

Respond to this message   

HA! So ya didn't bother to go comparison shopping at Lowes???

August 29 2008, 12:50 AM 

I never thought to look at either BIG BOX store... as I felt they were too NEW to carry relatively OLD keys!  Great find, thanks!

My best,

Tony
Black Tooth and me... since 1983!

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the views of the sender, or, for that matter, any other carbon-based life form; Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; All models are 18 years of age or older; Dry clean only, do not use bleach, Tumble dry and remove immediately; Do not bend, fold, staple or mutilate; Anchovies, cheese or jalapenos may be added to orders upon request for an additional charge; Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt to duplicate; Your actual mileage may vary; No substitutions are allowed; Available for a limited time only while supplies last; Offers are void where prohibited by law; Humor is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied; The user assumes full liabilities and originator is not liable for damages due to use or misuse; We are an equal opportunity employer, with no regard to race, religion, sex, or sexual preference; No shoes, no shirt, no service; Read at your own risk; This post may contain material some may find to be objectionable; Parental advisory: Explicit lyrics; keep away from pets and small children; limit one-per-family please; No money down; No purchase necessary; Ask us about our guns-for-dope trade-in plan; You need not be present to win; Some assembly required; Batteries not included; Action figures sold separately; Contents were packed full at the factory, but may have settled during shipping; Peanuts and peanut products are produced in this establishment and also consumed by the author; Sanitized and sealed for your protection; Do not use if safety seal is broken; Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment; Safety goggles may be required during use; Use gloves when handling; Call before you dig; Use only with proper ventilation; For external use only, if a swelling, redness, rash, or irritation develops, discontinue use; Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source; Keep away from open flames; Avoid inhaling fumes or contact with mucous membranes; Contents under pressure, may explode if incinerated; Smoking may be hazardous to your health; No smoking allowed, except in designated areas; The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; Text is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; No animals were harmed while writing this post; No salt, MSG, preservatives, artificial color or flavor added; If ingested, do not induce vomiting, If symptoms persist, consult a comedian; Ribbed for your pleasure, slippery when wet; Must be 18 to enter; No one under 21 allowed; We check IDs to age 40; Seniors Welcome; Ask for our Senior Menu; Present discount coupons to cashier before totaling; An 18% gratuity will be added to the total for parties of 8 or more; We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Return all carts to the store; No dogs allowed, except for the visually impaired; Penalties for early withdrawal, one size fits all; Offer is valid only at participating sites; Prices slightly higher west of the Rockies; Allow four to six weeks for delivery; If defects are found, do not attempt a repair, return to an authorized service center; Please remain seated until the vehicle has come to a complete stop; Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear; Fasten seat belts; In the unlikely event of a loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will fall from above, cover your face first, then assist those around you. Your seat cushion may be used as a floatation device. This disclaimer is invalid in the event of hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, sonic booms, vibration, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts or any other act of war, unauthorized repair, improper installation, misuse, typos, misspelled words, missing or altered signatures, and incidents owing to computer or disk failure, accidental file deletions, and Acts of God. Other restrictions may, or may not apply.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Key blanks?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >> Return to > DF  

Xweb 'Calling All Cars' Bulletins:
Be sure to add yourself to Xweb's Registry and User Map
Xweb BUG REPORT/Q&A can help you get around!
Want Xweb's latest threads on your site? Click
Special section: X1/99 Concept forum

Xweb Forums Contacts:
Forums Moderators: Eric, Greg, Mark moderators AT x19web.org
Site Maintenance: Mac seattlex19 AT fastmail.fm
User Registry: Mark H markyharris AT gmail.com
User Map: Andrew rooy AT new.rr.com

XANA Homepage:
x19web.org
Login|Logoff
Xweb 101
Best of ...