~ Return to 'Son Of Xweb' here ~

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >> Return to > DF  

Help Needed! Need a new UNO TURBO Mk2

October 25 2008 at 12:25 AM

The one I bought has been previously detonated.

Can anyone help with finding another as it is taking up my mechanics garage and he is more than unhappy.

Other than that my daily driver got riden off last week after being rear ended so I have 0 cars!

Anyone that can help - I would appreciate it!!

I have spent thousands upon thousands on this build and am in some way in to deep to return.

If possible I would need an engine that has been compression tested before hand because I can not rely on the good old words of "Low milage engine".

Thank you all.

Giancarlo

http://flickr.com/photos/topcatrules/

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Why the concern? This looks VERY fixable to me.

October 25 2008, 6:01 AM 

...a bit of work on the head (weld and resurface) and a good decking of the block and you should be back in business for less than the cost of a used engine. Just smooth those dents in the piston crown with a dremel tool and a sanding disk - I've seen MUCH worse.

Is you decide to scrap the engine I'll buy it (if shipping is reasonable) - maybe that would help fund the cost of a replacement.

Hang in there!

Chris

'82 Spider
'87 X1/9
15 others long and forgotten
Newark, DE

Respond to this message   

Or Get Another Cylinder Head

October 25 2008, 8:33 AM 

if possible.The block can be "decked" surfaced and all should be well with it. Smooth out the rough edges on the piston and it should be good to go.

Really, the damage is not that serious. This Uno Turbo engine is worth saving as few are still around these days.

Respond to this message   

As others have said...

October 25 2008, 9:42 AM 

Get a new head for it, and deck the block. You will be just fine.

Eric Armstrong

Respond to this message   

Giancarlo... in the photos where you point at the block...

October 25 2008, 10:12 AM 

... specifically at a line between the two water jackets... that's not a crack is it?  Looks to be a dent or something from the fragment the broke off.

If so... I too agree with the rest... and wonder a bit about the term "DETONATION" and your mechanic's concerns.

I think I would pay him for his trouble up to now, and rebuild or find another to rebuild this mill for you.

Where are you located... we might be able to refer you...

My best,

Tony
Black Tooth and me... since 1983!

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the views of the sender, or, for that matter, any other carbon-based life form; Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; All models are 18 years of age or older; Dry clean only, do not use bleach, Tumble dry and remove immediately; Do not bend, fold, staple or mutilate; Anchovies, cheese or jalapenos may be added to orders upon request for an additional charge; Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt to duplicate; Your actual mileage may vary; No substitutions are allowed; Available for a limited time only while supplies last; Offers are void where prohibited by law; Humor is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied; The user assumes full liabilities and originator is not liable for damages due to use or misuse; We are an equal opportunity employer, with no regard to race, religion, sex, or sexual preference; No shoes, no shirt, no service; Read at your own risk; This post may contain material some may find to be objectionable; Parental advisory: Explicit lyrics; keep away from pets and small children; limit one-per-family please; No money down; No purchase necessary; Ask us about our guns-for-dope trade-in plan; You need not be present to win; Some assembly required; Batteries not included; Action figures sold separately; Contents were packed full at the factory, but may have settled during shipping; Peanuts and peanut products are produced in this establishment and also consumed by the author; Sanitized and sealed for your protection; Do not use if safety seal is broken; Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment; Safety goggles may be required during use; Use gloves when handling; Call before you dig; Use only with proper ventilation; For external use only, if a swelling, redness, rash, or irritation develops, discontinue use; Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source; Keep away from open flames; Avoid inhaling fumes or contact with mucous membranes; Contents under pressure, may explode if incinerated; Smoking may be hazardous to your health; No smoking allowed, except in designated areas; The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; Text is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; No animals were harmed while writing this post; No salt, MSG, preservatives, artificial color or flavor added; If ingested, do not induce vomiting, If symptoms persist, consult a comedian; Ribbed for your pleasure, slippery when wet; Must be 18 to enter; No one under 21 allowed; We check IDs to age 40; Seniors Welcome; Ask for our Senior Menu; Present discount coupons to cashier before totaling; An 18% gratuity will be added to the total for parties of 8 or more; We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Return all carts to the store; No dogs allowed, except for the visually impaired; Penalties for early withdrawal, one size fits all; Offer is valid only at participating sites; Prices slightly higher west of the Rockies; Allow four to six weeks for delivery; If defects are found, do not attempt a repair, return to an authorized service center; Please remain seated until the vehicle has come to a complete stop; Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear; Fasten seat belts; In the unlikely event of a loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will fall from above, cover your face first, then assist those around you. Your seat cushion may be used as a floatation device. This disclaimer is invalid in the event of hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, sonic booms, vibration, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts or any other act of war, unauthorized repair, improper installation, misuse, typos, misspelled words, missing or altered signatures, and incidents owing to computer or disk failure, accidental file deletions, and Acts of God. Other restrictions may, or may not apply.

Respond to this message   
Steve Cecchele

Re: Help Needed! Need a new UNO TURBO Mk2

October 25 2008, 4:18 PM 

I'm not sure what the rest of you can see, but the block looks like it's cracked to me...

If the engine has been detonating to the point where it has burst the gasket fire ring, damaged the head and cracked the block, I would be VERY suspect about using ANY of the internal components.

The head could be welded and resurfaced sure ... but the block wouldn't be economical to repair, and I would be suspect (until things were measured) of the crank (for twist) and the rod / piston assembly on that cylinder ... small cracks are likely in the piston (to the top ring land) from the "Hammering" you get when you have detontation.

I think you should try to come to some arrangement with the seller of the engine ... unfortunately "Caveat Emptor" (sp?) ... buyer beware

SteveC

Respond to this message   

I would also tend to agree with your evaluation Steve... I just can't tell if those are...

October 26 2008, 12:13 AM 

... three cracks or three marks from where the gasket was seated.

But I wouldn't even know where to begin with filling that chunk that is missing on an iron block... I've seen all sorts of repairs that do well on aluminum blocks, but then they are usually sleeved also.

My old 303 Oldsmobile was salvaged by boring and sleeving ONE cylinder... and as you stated... it probably was NOT an inexpensive venture.

My best,

Tony
Black Tooth and me... since 1983!

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the views of the sender, or, for that matter, any other carbon-based life form; Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; All models are 18 years of age or older; Dry clean only, do not use bleach, Tumble dry and remove immediately; Do not bend, fold, staple or mutilate; Anchovies, cheese or jalapenos may be added to orders upon request for an additional charge; Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt to duplicate; Your actual mileage may vary; No substitutions are allowed; Available for a limited time only while supplies last; Offers are void where prohibited by law; Humor is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied; The user assumes full liabilities and originator is not liable for damages due to use or misuse; We are an equal opportunity employer, with no regard to race, religion, sex, or sexual preference; No shoes, no shirt, no service; Read at your own risk; This post may contain material some may find to be objectionable; Parental advisory: Explicit lyrics; keep away from pets and small children; limit one-per-family please; No money down; No purchase necessary; Ask us about our guns-for-dope trade-in plan; You need not be present to win; Some assembly required; Batteries not included; Action figures sold separately; Contents were packed full at the factory, but may have settled during shipping; Peanuts and peanut products are produced in this establishment and also consumed by the author; Sanitized and sealed for your protection; Do not use if safety seal is broken; Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment; Safety goggles may be required during use; Use gloves when handling; Call before you dig; Use only with proper ventilation; For external use only, if a swelling, redness, rash, or irritation develops, discontinue use; Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source; Keep away from open flames; Avoid inhaling fumes or contact with mucous membranes; Contents under pressure, may explode if incinerated; Smoking may be hazardous to your health; No smoking allowed, except in designated areas; The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; Text is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; No animals were harmed while writing this post; No salt, MSG, preservatives, artificial color or flavor added; If ingested, do not induce vomiting, If symptoms persist, consult a comedian; Ribbed for your pleasure, slippery when wet; Must be 18 to enter; No one under 21 allowed; We check IDs to age 40; Seniors Welcome; Ask for our Senior Menu; Present discount coupons to cashier before totaling; An 18% gratuity will be added to the total for parties of 8 or more; We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Return all carts to the store; No dogs allowed, except for the visually impaired; Penalties for early withdrawal, one size fits all; Offer is valid only at participating sites; Prices slightly higher west of the Rockies; Allow four to six weeks for delivery; If defects are found, do not attempt a repair, return to an authorized service center; Please remain seated until the vehicle has come to a complete stop; Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear; Fasten seat belts; In the unlikely event of a loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will fall from above, cover your face first, then assist those around you. Your seat cushion may be used as a floatation device. This disclaimer is invalid in the event of hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, sonic booms, vibration, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts or any other act of war, unauthorized repair, improper installation, misuse, typos, misspelled words, missing or altered signatures, and incidents owing to computer or disk failure, accidental file deletions, and Acts of God. Other restrictions may, or may not apply.

Respond to this message   

Re: Help Needed! Need a new UNO TURBO Mk2

October 26 2008, 6:26 AM 

I am on the same page with Steve on this one. I suspect the damage is much worse than it appears. Even if you do a dye penetrant test I would expect you will find more. If it were me I would not use it.

I appreciate the one off stories, I knew a guy who epoxied a main bearing in place after he spun it in his Triumph GT6 and for at least two years that I know of it stayed together. I also appreciate the idea of repairing the block and redecking it. It is very common for high output engines with floating cylinders, i.e. Honda to weld a plate at the block top to keep them from moving around but a known good block is used and significant additional work is done to improve longevity.

The big concern is it is a lot of effort and expense to repair and replace the known bad parts on a questionable block. I don't know your location but I suspect this is a case where you can't just run down to the local boneyard and get a new block etc.

I think you could patch it and get it to run but for how good and for how long is the question.

By the way I have blown a Toyota 4AGE motor (MR2) and rebuilt it because of a detonation issue. The pistons and cylinder walls were destroyed but not to the extent you are showing - I got very lucky.

Keep us posted, good luck and peace,

Brian

Respond to this message   

Rebuild

October 26 2008, 10:35 PM 

Yeah not a fan of rebuilding something with this extent of damage. The photos don't show enough detail to be conclusive but it looks worse when your looking at it in real.

I have found another engine in England and hopefully I have some luck and can actually buy it and not get sold a dud. Postage will be heaps but I need to take whats available I guess and customs I'm sure will chase me.

Hopefully I can get it. I'll need to buy another turbo as the one on this current engine has oil all through it and a fair bit of movement, but hopefully I can use some parts like the exhaust man, etc.

I'll stay in touch.

Thanks everyone so far.

Respond to this message   

Mate . . . take a breather

October 26 2008, 11:10 PM 

By the sounds of things you are about to make a decision that will overcapitalise the car beyond any and all realms of comprehension. Do you still have the original 1500 sitting around? If I recall, it's only problem was a 'dead' valve (probably exhaust), correct?

Why not, then, simply take the head off that, pop it down to somewhere in Sydney to have that fixed properly (if you need the name of a good place, just ask me. I had one done for about $700-00 quite recently) put that back onto the engine and that engine back in the car and get the car back on the road for under a grand. Taking that approach also just might get you to the Fiat Nationals in Goulburn in January as well.

Just my thoughts (Oh . . . and by the way . . . from those photos it would be my opinion that that engine is cactus and repairable only after the expenditure of huge sums of money). But, having 'been there done that . . .'

Respond to this message   
Rachael

Slow Boat to Oz

October 27 2008, 1:49 AM 

Giancarlo,

I'm shipping some engines and bodykits to Adelaide in a big crate very soon; been waiting for the bodykits to be made. Who/where are you getting your engine from in England? Please don't say Redmist Racing!

Cheers R

Respond to this message   
Giancarlo

....lol (nt)

October 27 2008, 5:42 AM 

Respond to this message   

plenty of Fiat Uno Turbo parts

October 27 2008, 2:34 PM 

just only the 1300cc types, not the 1400cc types.

Cylinderheads, blocks, complete engines with or without turbo
Engine management from Bosch, Magneti Marelli etc etc.

Ciao, Jan-Cor
from Holland but will ship worldwide

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Help Needed! Need a new UNO TURBO Mk2
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >> Return to > DF  

Xweb 'Calling All Cars' Bulletins:
Be sure to add yourself to Xweb's Registry and User Map
Xweb BUG REPORT/Q&A can help you get around!
Want Xweb's latest threads on your site? Click
Special section: X1/99 Concept forum

Xweb Forums Contacts:
Forums Moderators: Eric, Greg, Mark moderators AT x19web.org
Site Maintenance: Mac seattlex19 AT fastmail.fm
User Registry: Mark H markyharris AT gmail.com
User Map: Andrew rooy AT new.rr.com

XANA Homepage:
x19web.org
Login|Logoff
Xweb 101
Best of ...