Return to index  

The problem, chris, are myriad, but there are few generalizable ones

November 21 2006 at 12:36 PM

ThomasM  (Premier Login thepurist178)
AP Discussion Group

Response to In view of that, it seems a bit perverse that these companies would choose to release...

Hi,

1) most consumers don't have the time, interest, willingness, or even chance if they wanted to, to compare multiple pieces, for benchmarking - over time, and simultaneously.

2) even the brands/producers themselves either don't have trained ears, don't care, or don't take the time. the majority of them are mechanics (in the most respectful way, not in a pejorative sense) not musicians or even instrument makers.

Being in the business you are in (and I think we've talked about my past interest and involvement in that industry, including following and supporting as a customer people like Tom Colangelo, Nelson Pass, Dr. Johnson, Dr. West, Koetsu-san, et al) I think the industry dynamics are not that much different.

Hopefully, with resources like ours (and the old Harry Pearson type independence - even if it might have been more myth than reality; I can only speak about ours and I know what that is) the consumers will have their eyes and ears opened, and the industry will respond appropriately - hopefully, out of principle and genuine interest; but at least out of commercial necessity.

Cheers,

TM

Respond to this message   
ThePuristS.com Home Page