Return to index  

technology, resources, willingness, and commercial necessity

November 21 2006 at 1:23 PM

ThomasM  (Premier Login thepurist178)
AP Discussion Group

Response to Thomas, why is it that there is no algorithm for making a repeater...

Hi, Ronald,

I've got to run, and will try to come back to this later, but for now -

think Strad, Guernari, etc vs those made by other masters, vs those made "industrially"

PP (PS and M.M) and DR (GR, others in the workshops) are both pursuing committed internal research programs which include advanced recording and acoustic digital/analogue waveform analysis, tonal quality comparisons, etc. I imagine other "significant" repeater producers - Cristophe Claret; VC; MJLC; BP; AP; APRP; et al - are doing their own research as well.

Interestingly, I know that AP, APRP are doing serious "research" albeit in a less technologically advanced way. This may not be a bad thing; there are those (myself included) who feel that digital sound (re)production and analysis still leaves too much to be desired to be truly useful or conclusive.

I've discussed this with VC and BP as well - in their workshops, with the actual "master watchmakers" responsible for making and "tuning" their repeaters as well as production managers and product managers and management executives - the conclusions I feel comfortable drawing are the same - it is still very much a "gut / ear" feel type of approach.

Of course, I realize that I am just an enthusiast and founder of an obscure, niche website known for its "amateurishness" - there may be programs going on that I am not privy to, and the comments made to me by industry individuals may have been just to "get rid of" a bothersome Purist.

I have no illusions about my insignificance, and make no presumptions about what I "know."

Cheers,

TM

Respond to this message   
ThePuristS.com Home Page