<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

A visit to Thomas Prescher.

March 28 2006 at 10:48 AM

IanS  (Login ian.s)

Sometimes I have good days visiting independent watchmakers and sometimes I have GOOD days.

A recent invitation to visit Thomas Prescher just before Basel had the following bait - not that any was needed - of 'You will be the first to see our complete collection.' Well I saw the complete collection plus a few extras that Thomas found in the back of the safe.

It certainly was a very GOOD day.

A thorough article with lots of photos will follow as soon as time allows; however, I want to share a just little of Thomas Prescher's watchmaking magic with you now.

The Samurai, who is matched very nicely with an onyxed dialed Geischa if you wanted a couple.

The richly engraved back of The Samurai.

The double-axle tourbillon, the second in a set of three watches also comprising a single-axle flying tourbillon and a triple-axle flying tourbillon.

The utterly mesmerizing triple-axle flying tourbillon.

This simple and clean looking early pocket watch was one of my favourites; the double-axle tourbillon was just a bonus.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
SteveH
(Login offroadr35)
AP Discussion Group

HOLY COW!!! Those Tourbillons are AMAZING!!! (nt)

March 28 2006, 11:33 AM 

Respond to this message   

michael.ting
(Login mkt32)
Admin

If that was a good day for you Ian I can't fathom what a GREAT day would be like...

March 28 2006, 12:55 PM 

Thank you and Mr. Prescher for bring us these mechanical marvels. I'm looking forward to the write ups.

Best, Mike

Respond to this message   
Jerry de los Rios
(Login FingerBurnF8)
Industry Chat

Items of Art & Beauty......................................nt

March 28 2006, 7:29 PM 

Respond to this message   
PamLover
(no login)

Great Pics. Thx. How does the Samarai tell time if arms fixed? (nt)

March 28 2006, 7:37 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

IanS
(Login ian.s)

You can choose to have the Samurai's arms in the time position,

March 28 2006, 9:29 PM 

or resting as they are pictured. There is a pusher in the crown that changes from one state to the other.

You push and he tells the time and push again to have him raise his arms. There is no harm or added stress to the movement in either position and you can have him always telling the time if you choose.

Respond to this message   
PamLover
(no login)

Ian, do the hands move independently of the body and eachother ...

March 29 2006, 12:35 PM 

...because from the picture the Samerai's body and arms seem to be one solid piece. I don't see a break where one arm moves up and the other down to give you the time.

It also appears as if the watch is a "retrograde", true?

Is the current time 12:00?

Finally, what is the movement based upon, production numbers and MSRP (you can always email me privately if answering the latter is against Purists policies).

Super cool watch!

Respond to this message   

IanS
(Login ian.s)

The hands do move independently of each other

March 29 2006, 8:24 PM 

and the body. It is retrograde hours on the left and minutes on the right. The arms are in the 'resting' position in the image and are not telling the time - you click a button in the crown and the arms move to the cottect time - click again and they go up to the resting position.

There is an explaination on Prescher's web-site.

Respond to this message   

Curtis
(Login watchmaker)

I believe...

April 1 2006, 12:32 PM 

Hi PL,

I beleive these are ETA 2824-A2 based, with in-house complication. Here is an old link you may find interesting http://www.network54.com/Forum/125316/thread/1047364163/

Cheers,

Curtis

Respond to this message   
jokoh
(no login)

Thanks Ian..new meaning to the word "flying" tourbillon

March 28 2006, 9:33 PM 

Looks like the tourbillon is really "flying". AMAZING...breathless. And your photos are just "so good you can eat it "

cheers
joe

Respond to this message   

Curtis
(Login watchmaker)

Good stuff... Thanks Th. Prescher and Ian! -nt

April 1 2006, 12:33 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page