<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Romain Gauthier...a young and talented new watchmaker...

November 6 2006 at 2:38 PM

adrianNJ  (Login adrianNJ)
AP Discussion Group

we've met Romain and his pieces one night at a dinner in Nyon...all of us were truly impressed with his creations and his charm...he is a 31 yo that had his own vision of a new watch about 6 years ago...and he finally made some prototypes...he invited the whole group into his new place where with the help of a really young watchmaker (Sebastien) they're ready to start make history!...here are some pictures...

they just moved in this place...here is the polishing room...

Romain's office...

Romain explaining to all of us how the dial is made...

Sebastien checking to see if the finishing is properly done on one of the pieces...

since Magnus already posted a picture of the dial, here are some more pics of a white gold piece on my wrist...

some of us tried our hands on the art of watchmaking...

in the end everybody had a great time! Thank you Romain and Sebastien for being such gracious hosts!!!

from Romain's place we hit the road and headed to Phillipe Dufour...but that is another post...tomorrow...

thanx for looking,
adrian

"How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven"

Robert Heinlein

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Magnus Bosse
(Login mbosse)
AP Discussion Group

Great indeed - thanks a lot! Seems like the world of horology is never exhausted... NT!

November 6 2006, 2:49 PM 

Respond to this message   
dmcfarland
(Login dmcfarland)
PP Discussion Group

Impressive Posts

November 6 2006, 4:29 PM 

All three were quite nice. Thank you for sharing.

Best.

Respond to this message   
Meehna
(Login Scenarios)

More Information

November 6 2006, 7:36 PM 

First I've heard of this young buck and I do try to keep up with the independents since they are my favorites. I couldn't seem to get his website to work. Any more links to his work; I'd like to know about his watches, techniques, price range etc. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Meehna

Respond to this message   
Mark
(Login voronezh)

Better start saving

November 6 2006, 9:28 PM 

They're amazing watches. Beautifully finished..
He mentioned price indication to us. I might have to sell a kidney or something.

Regards
Mark

Respond to this message   
Meehna
(Login Scenarios)

Indication of $$

November 7 2006, 6:55 AM 

Please, contact me with info via private e-mail. Also, I'd love to hear your rhapsody on the watch if you have the time or inclination.

Respond to this message   

bernardcheong
(Login bernardcheong)
AP Discussion Group

It is more "affordable" than a Volker or Dufour.

November 7 2006, 4:53 PM 

It is also a very Swiss intepretation of watchmaking, not Germanic.

I personally like it very much.

If you have already missed or don't like the alternatives, this watch looks to be a good choice.

The engineering approach is less extreme than Volker. Here, Romain has taken a more restrained approach, and focused much on tradtional finish, and the addition of several unsual presentations of function.

I won't spoil Ian's fun...wait for his article. It will be good...he has spent more time with the watch.

Respond to this message   
Allen
(Login acs540)
AP Discussion Group

Looks like a great workplace. Any pics of the back of the watch?

November 6 2006, 7:48 PM 

Thanks for the report!
Allen

Respond to this message   

bernardcheong
(Login bernardcheong)
AP Discussion Group

Roman has another much more serious piece...and

November 6 2006, 8:13 PM 

the finish of his plates have a very "Dufour" character..you will see the familiar "horns" at the tips of the paltes.

I would say that having seen macro pics of the plates recently, he is an artisan of a high order, extremely promising to us as collectors. However, he would break no new ground, and that is nothing negative..he streghtens the artisan craft of watchmaking, like Dufour has.

The apparently derivative nature and direction is an artisan perspective of watchmaking.

Unlike Daniels, Breguet, Janvier of old..and Vianney, Volker of late. Who have focused both on moving away from derivation, but in so doing have often created both rejection and admiration, sometimes worse, sometimes good.

Artisan perspective os probably the "safe" way to go.

No new horizons will be seen though.

I admire these works of Roman, and will have to meet him.

Respond to this message   
Mark
(Login voronezh)

interesting evening

November 6 2006, 9:43 PM 

It was a very interesting dinner - having pieces from Peter Speake-Marin, Max Busser's "horological machine" and this young fellow Mr Gauthier flying around the table.
I would like to thank all three gentlemen to take the time out of their schedules to share the evening with us.

All watches at different extremes of the spectrum, but all "conversation pieces". I don't even remember what was for dinner. It was a memorable evening.

However, I would like to state that what this chap Mr Gauthier has been doing hardly fits any "safe way". Look out for Ian's article.. I found it an amazing story of passion, confidence and most of all perseverance.

Regards
Mark

Respond to this message   

IanS
(Login ian.s)

I think that you will be surprised Bernard.

November 6 2006, 10:04 PM 

Don't judge everything on the strength of a few photos. . . there is more to come.

Respond to this message   

bernardcheong
(Login bernardcheong)
AP Discussion Group

No Ian...Roman is a great artisan, no doubt at all.

November 7 2006, 1:22 AM 

I am the most difficult to convince "customer", as I actually do consider acquisition of any piece of value, and not "just review them"...and this man has great work. I have to buy it if it is good, and appeals to me. Or I will feel that my collection will have a "hole" in it.

His prices are right, and he will do well.

Nothing wrong about evolution and derivation...Patek,AP, R&P, Dufour all have their strenght in consistent evolution...very strong, good value preservation.

Creation however, is for the high risk takers...Jackson Pollock is the best example here.

Respond to this message   

IanS
(Login ian.s)

While Romain's watches may superficially

November 7 2006, 3:33 AM 

look like a devivation of what has gone before, the reality is that the movement is one of the most 'underived'out there; however, you need to hear the whole story to appreciate that.

When I asked Philippe Dufour what he thought of the design he said, "I love Romain's movement for its originality. If you ask me to design a movement I close my eyes and see what has been done in the past and then interprete that in my own way. Romain has started with a completely clean slate and come up with something totally new."

When you learn more you will appreciate why that is so. Patience. . . I'm working on it!

Respond to this message   

alex
(Login argg)
Industry Chat

Can you tell us more about his movements? Any scans? Thanks for the presentation

November 7 2006, 1:31 AM 

e

Respond to this message   

IanS
(Login ian.s)

More information is coming as soon as I can write it Alex.

November 7 2006, 3:36 AM 

There are a lot of factors that make Romain's watch very special and I would like to present it with a decent article/explanations, rather than have, as has already started, viewers make judgements on a few photos.

I am working as fast as I can!

Respond to this message   
Meehna
(Login Scenarios)

How's the Progress on the Article?

November 10 2006, 6:55 PM 

I've been checking back daily with great anticipation. Okay, I admit it's more than daily -- it's every few hours!

Respond to this message   

IanS
(Login ian.s)

I'm working on it Meehna; however,

November 11 2006, 3:07 AM 

it is more likely to be more than a week away rather than a day. First getting as much information as I can, now writing it up, then collating all the photos, then formatting it into a (hopefully) decent looking article.

It is Romain's first watch and I am trying to do it as much justice as I can

Respond to this message   
Meehna
(Login Scenarios)

Re: I'm working on it Meehna; however,

November 11 2006, 6:52 AM 

Thanks for your response. I'm just eager to see it. Of course, I want you to take as much time as you need; I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself Also, in all honesty, work is insane and this site is a wonderful place to visit for pleasure and a break.

Respond to this message   
Ronald Held
(Login ronaldheld)

I do not see anything in the pictures that has a great appeal...

November 7 2006, 5:45 AM 

but I trust Bernard's instinct and will wait for Ian's report(and lots of pictures) to make my mind up.

Respond to this message   
mostel
(Login dartanian)
PP Discussion Group

Nice watch.. I wish

November 8 2006, 5:15 PM 

the name was smaller on the dial. But very nice.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page