<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

R Gauthier - "innovative classical watchmaking" ...

November 27 2006 at 6:41 PM

HarryTan  (Login horolographer)

Over this weekend several of us Purists based here in Singapore had the great fortune of meeting Mr Romain Gauthier as well as enjoyed inspecting and photographing his new timepieces during his trip here to meet his new Authorised Dealers.

I personally found Romain a very patient amiable friendly gentleman and it was heart warming to see how geniunely well he got along with collectors (like myself) who asked dozens of questions to which he tried effectively to explain. I also found that it is in the very small details that he has innovated on his watches. I wish I could recall all he said and shared it here but I will leave that to others who actually interviewed him.

In the meantime, I would share a few images here and share the images I have of the watches later in December when I can surface again after my professional duties are complete.

Seen here in these images is the White Gold edition of his first watch with a beautiful olive grey strap.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Cheers!   

HarryTan
Horolographer
Singapore

http://watchinghorology.com - Horology: The Engineering that tracks the passage of time
http://htfotos.com - Photography: The Art of capturing moments in time

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
mostel
(Login dartanian)
PP Discussion Group

I'm not sure I love the dial, but

November 27 2006, 8:37 PM 

man is that movement fantastic!!!

Respond to this message   
Ronald Held
(Login ronaldheld)

I must agree and wonder why it must be 42mm? (nt)

November 28 2006, 7:30 AM 

(NT)

Respond to this message   
Meehna
(Login Scenarios)

Why oh why --

November 27 2006, 8:44 PM 

-- is the watch so big?! At 42mm the thing is huge. Doesn't seem necessary, especially since it doesn't have any complications. Does anybody but me think the trend towards large round discs perched so conspicuously on wrists is going to eventually be passe? Just asking...

Respond to this message   

felipe
(Login fjordao)
PP Discussion Group

I agree, it's a shame about the size (nt)

November 28 2006, 3:38 AM 

Respond to this message   

Anthony Tsai
(Login AnthonyTsai)
AP Discussion Group

Yeah it's too small :) (nt)

December 1 2006, 8:35 AM 

Respond to this message   

adrianNJ
(Login adrianNJ)
AP Discussion Group

i think the watch has the right dimensions...

November 28 2006, 5:22 AM 

and it doesn't look too big on the wrist...check out these pictures...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/125316/message/1164642069/RG+watch+looks+very+good+on+the+wrist...

adrian

"How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven"

Robert Heinlein

Respond to this message   

Valentin Blank
(Login vblank)
AP Discussion Group

I can't get this watch out of my head since I saw it the first time...

November 27 2006, 10:44 PM 

Hi Harry

If I had some more time I would probably drive to Le Sentier and have a close look at this stunning watch. I find it really special. I love the movement and I also like the dial very much. Somehow I have the impression that this watch is very consistent in all its aspects. This sort of feeling has become quite rare to me... Normally, there's virtually always a minor detail that I dislike.

Thank you for your superb pictures of the watch!

Cheers, Valentin

Respond to this message   
jtbradley
(Login jtbradley)
PP Discussion Group

May be crucified for saying this....

November 28 2006, 10:37 AM 

While I find the case and dial to be quite nice (though IMO probably much too large at approx. 42mm), I can't help but think that the overall design of the movement seems inelegant. My first and lasting impression is that M. Gauthier is simply trying too hard. The bridge layout seems unnatural and like others, I find the large winding crown on the back of the case to be a distraction.

None of this is to say that it's not a well-crafted piece. Surely if I tried my hand at this type of work, the criticism would not be that I was trying to hard, but that I couldn't possibly be trying at all

John

Respond to this message   

Andrew H
(Login 219)
AP Discussion Group

My sentiments exactly. There appears aesthetically an inbalance in

November 28 2006, 12:00 PM 

the dial and the movement.

However, all credit to the man for following his dreams and realizing them. I have nothing but admiration for him and perhaps another prototype lurks below the desk that is more in line with something that I would want. Cannot please all the people all of the time.

Andrew H

Respond to this message   

Andrew H
(Login 219)
AP Discussion Group

Thanks Harry - great photos. nt.

November 28 2006, 12:02 PM 

Respond to this message   
K T
(Login lanatir)
AP Discussion Group

The watch looks fantastic!

November 28 2006, 11:54 PM 

thanks for the cool shots!

Regards
Kelvin
http://www.pbase.com/kelvinphoto

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page