<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Audemars Piguet Millenary Ref. 4101

May 25 2012 at 7:47 AM

AndrewD  (Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

Ever since first images of the Millenary Ref. 4101 emerged from Geneva in January last year the watch has been on my mind. The Millenary line was one of those eye-opening moments in horology for me several years ago. I had seen various oval watches from AP in pictures and advertising and always dismissed them as a little too unusual. But when I eventually strapped one on it was so comfortable and looked really great on the wrist; a nice escape from the usual round and rectangular watches in the marketplace.

While the Ref. 4101 impressed me in pictures, it wasn't until the Las Vegas IGOTT in May 2011 that I was able to strap one on. And the watch was even better in the metal! It's large, but fitted perfectly with a lot of wrist 'presence'. The wide strap and deployant also helps to make it sit comfortably.

So heres my first wrist shot from IGOTT in May 2011.

[linked image]

And in May 2012 I was able to try it on again in the Paris AP Boutique (where I was very well looked after).

[linked image]

[linked image]

The Ref. 4101 is 47x42x13mm and with the short lugs it wears like a small 42mm watch.

And it is available in rose gold, but I prefer the grey tones of the stainless steel version.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

While I didn't leave the Boutique with the watch on my wrist, I remained deeply impressed and I hope it will be mine one day ...

Regards

Andrew

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
MichaelC
(Login MichaelC1000m)
AP Discussion Group

Terrific photos Andrew.

May 25 2012, 8:33 PM 

I agree with your sentiments.

When I contemplate my next AP, I believe I have to put this watch atop my short list. The new Jumbo is captivating, but having owned a Maserati Millenary for years I am a big fan of the line. I hope it finds its way to my wrist soon happy.gif

Respond to this message   

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

There is a lot to love ...

May 25 2012, 9:19 PM 

In addition to the manufactured oval 'open' and reversed movement, what is nice about this watch, but not all that obvious in photos, is the contrasting highly polished lugs and bezel with the brushed case sides. The light plays wonderfully off that and the details are there to appreciate.

As an aside, don't you hate round movements that are fitted into non round cases?! A little less common nowadays, but a pet dislike of mine. Lovely to see the lines of this movement flowing with the Millenary case design.

Thanks for your comments, Michael.

Andrew

Respond to this message   

ThomasM
(Premier Login thepurist178)
AP Discussion Group

thank you, Andrew, great wrist shots!

May 27 2012, 4:08 PM 

Hi, Andrew,

The 4101 is definitely a looker and a well deserved breakthrough for AP. And the markets have reacted well.

Thanks for the great pics and insightful comments.

and a BIG thanks for "getting it" - so many read but dont "see..."

TM

"The secret to success in life
is to keep believing in the possible,
but to focus your energies on the probable."

Respond to this message   

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

I'm not surprised to hear the 4101 is ...

May 30 2012, 12:03 AM 

... popular. And great to have several excellent watches outside the RO paradigm. I tried late last year to handle a 4101 in Singapore, but they only had a couple of watches doing the rounds of the AD's. But it seems to be more widely available now, so I really hope it does well.

Andrew

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page