<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Vintage Vacheron Ad-Triple Complication Pocket Watch>>>

June 18 2005 at 5:11 PM

Paul Boutros  (Login pboutros)
AP Discussion Group

Found in the February 1950 issue of the Journal Suisse d'Horlogerie.

The triple-comp looks quite similar to the one owned by the gentleman Purist.

Love the 12, 3, 6, and 9 indices on the wristwatch...

Note the 1785 founding date!

Hope you enjoy,

Paul

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
WHL
(no login)

And the wristwatch has the same case as...

June 18 2005, 6:26 PM 

the bumper winding auto that Alex posted pictures of recently, and is now in the photo gallery.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill

Respond to this message   

Paul Boutros
(Login pboutros)
AP Discussion Group

Good spotting, Bill! Thanks...

June 19 2005, 2:03 AM 

for pointing me to Alex's photo of that vintage bumper wind...what a beauty!

Paul

Respond to this message   

ThomasM
(Premier Login thepurist178)
AP Discussion Group

In fact, 1785 was used until the 1960's (if I remember correctly) when

June 19 2005, 1:17 AM 

papers were found documenting Jean-Marc Vacheron's registration of a business dating to 1755.

"Even as venerable a House as Vacheron has some historical ambiguity. VC themselves, in 1945, issued an ad that celebrated their "160th Anniversary" which would place their founding, by their own reckoning, to 1785, the time of Abraham Vacheron. Only later did they trace their lineage back even further, to 1755, to Jean-Marc Vacheron's company, which then subsequently became the official date of the company's founding. This occurred and was legitimized by the discovery of the Jean-Marc Vacheron commercial contract dated 1755.

The company's own archives contain nothing about its first 60 years since 1755, starting as they do in 1810 with letters signed by Jaques-Barthelemy Vacheron. In fact, most of the information about the company from Jean-Marc Vacheron's founding in 1755 to 1810 are derived from referent secondary sources, including documents and references from the public record.

This confusion surrounding the lineage and continuity of the company is in fact an anachronistic artifact of the modern concept and practice of the registered company surviving and becoming "greater than" the founder. In the mid-18th century, the company WAS the founder and master-craftsman, and vice-versa.

So, even according to the company itself, argument can be made to trace the origins of the company to 1755, 1785, or 1908, when, in terms of actual company registration, there is direct and unbroken lineage to this day, despite changes in ownership."

(comments from 2000)

I was lucky enough to actually view the original document, while it was still "unprocessed" and awaiting archival - an amazing feeling, to be in the presence of such an original document, on a subject of such personal interest.

I am not sure (but I imagine it would be) this document is now part of the permanent archival exhibit at the Maison.

Regards,

TM

Respond to this message   

Paul Boutros
(Login pboutros)
AP Discussion Group

Hi Thomas, thank you for the background info...

June 19 2005, 1:48 AM 

I first read about Vacheron's "discovery" of its 1755 (vice 1785) founding date somewhere on ThePuristS site, but I can't remember where (perhaps because it's almost 5 am here in New Jersey!).

Below is another ad from 1955 I posted a couple of weeks ago on this forum, indicating, to me, that Vacheron might have made this finding somewhere between 1950 and 1955...I'll try to go through the VC ads I have between these years to see if I can find an earlier reference to the 1755 date.

Must have been quite an experience to be in the presence of that original document-an absolute treasure both for the firm and for the Swiss watch industry in general, I'd imagine.

Best regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Dje
(Login Dje-CC)
AP Discussion Group

According to "Les Secrets..."

June 19 2005, 3:21 AM 

the document dating the creation of the company back to 1755, was discovered around 1950 in the Geneva archives (page 22 in the book).

I remember reading somewhere else that the document was discovered in 1950, but I don't remember where.

Respond to this message   

Paul Boutros
(Login pboutros)
AP Discussion Group

Ok, I just sifted through the advertisements>>>

June 19 2005, 9:28 AM 

in the collection of JSH magazines I have, and the last mention of the "Since 1785" date was Sep/Oct 1951 issue, and the first mention of the 1755 date is in the Mar/Apr 1952 issue. I'm missing two issues (Nov/Dec '51 and Jan/Feb '52), so it's quite possible the discovery was first advertised somewhere during this span of 6 months.

In accordance with "Les Secrets...", perhaps VC took a couple of years after the discovery to verify the 1755 date before coming out to the world with this claim?

Best regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
DH
(no login)

Lovely ads and please do keep them coming...

June 19 2005, 1:52 AM 

it is always interesting to see something from the past.....

kind regards DH

Respond to this message   

Doc
(Login powin)
PP Discussion Group

Paul,I love your treasure chest,

June 19 2005, 12:10 PM 

please keep digging in it.It´s so pleasant to see what you brings out in daylight.
And is it not fantastic that the young Jean Marc at the age of 24 was a master and signed an apprentice.
With his background he must have been a genius!
Thanks Paul
Doc

Respond to this message   

Paul Boutros
(Login pboutros)
AP Discussion Group

Thank you for the feedback, Doc...

June 19 2005, 12:16 PM 

I, too, feel these old advertisements are wonderful and fascinating little treasures.

And the pleasure is surely in sharing them with enthusiasts like yourself.

Best regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   

Jian
(Login JWU)
AP Discussion Group

Has the pocket one a split-second chronograph function? (nt)

June 20 2005, 8:15 AM 

e

Respond to this message   

Paul Boutros
(Login pboutros)
AP Discussion Group

The one shown in the ad, and the one owned by the Purist both do. (nt)

June 20 2005, 2:17 PM 

Respond to this message   
Jian
(no login)

Thank you, Paul! (nt)

June 20 2005, 5:24 PM 

e.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page