<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

New Overseas

December 2 2006 at 2:17 PM
Jeff  (Login JeffN1)

Good afternoon. I read the wonderful post review by Jack on the overseas which is my watch except with black dial. I Have a question to the forum which might sound dumb. I need to sell one of my watches. It is between the 50th anniversary Rolex submariner or my 42 millimeter overseas black dial. My questions are which way to go, and why? Which movement is sturdier and will need less service. I first decided to sell the 42 mm overseas thinking that the moment in the sub was sturdier and needed less service. That the sub could take much more abuse due to I am athletic but, during the day in a suit and tie which I can get away with the sub. For example I will be going skiing and am not sure if the overseas will handle it. After my reading Jacks unbelievable review of my exact watch I am confused. Thank you in advance. One needs to be sold due to a divorce.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
mkvc
(Login mkvc)
PP Discussion Group

Re: New Overseas

December 2 2006, 7:18 PM 

The Overseas is certainly up to skiing (at least insofar as I have done much more strenuous and wet things with my old-model Overseas without ill effect), but I don't think there can be any question that the Rolex is even more robust. As for service, they probably both should be serviced at similar intervals. The Overseas' cost of service is likely to be greater. The consequences of trying to stretch the service interval will also probably be greater with the Overseas.

Respond to this message   
JonC
(Login JonCorbett)
AP Discussion Group

I don't know why the Overseas couldn't handle skiing.>

December 2 2006, 7:21 PM 

It's advertised as being a sports watch and has better WR than a standard Rolex. On the other hand, if nothing else, the Rolex is probably going to be very reliable. My choice if it was going to be one or the other and I could only have one, I'd go with the Rolex.

Respond to this message   

Doc
(Login powin)
PP Discussion Group

Keep the Vacheron Constantin!

December 3 2006, 12:15 AM 

Why keep a watch that are made in more numbers a year,
than VC has done during 251 years ?
If you wear suit and tie only that,
makes the decision.

Which are sturdier?
No one can tell about the future,
but I have a lot of vintage VCs,
that I use, more or less every day,
and they are from the 30s and 40s!

As a daily watch I worned a VC Malte DTR,
the last year, got some scratches but it just add some charm

When I run, a couple of times a week,
I stopped skiing, I have a simple quarz puls watch.
But I also forgotten to change, several times,
and done my 10 kms with the DTR!
We are talking about a sports watch, Overseas!
Follow your heart, but if you want to be a little different,
than the majority, keep the VC, always
Doc

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login JeffN1)

Re: Keep the Vacheron Constantin!

December 3 2006, 8:03 AM 

Thank you for the advice.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login JeffN1)

Very Difficult

December 3 2006, 8:12 AM 

Thank you for your responses. I am still not sure what to do. It is a very difficult choice. The overseas is a beautiful watch and the sub is a classic sports watch. Both have the history and character and charm in there own way. Both have a very good movement. This is a very difficult choice. Wish I could keep both.

Respond to this message   
Paul
(Login 1watch)
AP Discussion Group

It really is a personal choice, but since you asked for opinions..

December 3 2006, 2:06 PM 

The VC is much less common and would work best with a suit and can be worn with casual attire as well. The whole of the watch; movement, dial, bracelet are executed to a higher level of handfinishing than Rolex. Also, if maximizing what you will get vs. what you paid is important, then selling the Rolex would be the best way to go.

Respond to this message   
Jeff
(Login JeffN1)

Re: It really is a personal choice, but since you asked for opinions..

December 3 2006, 2:29 PM 

Paul: Thank you for your advice. In your opinion do you think the overseas has a better movement then sub? Is it a better made watch. I have been struggling all day to figure out what to do?

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page