<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Will 1966 be in stainless steel?

November 12 2006 at 8:38 PM
Zen8  (no login)

Really like the classic and elegant look of the new 1966. Just wondering if GP will come out the SS version any time soon. Peter, any idea?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

PeterCDE
(Login pc01)

I think not

November 12 2006, 10:31 PM 

G'day,

i don´t know of any plans to release the Vintage 1966 in steel!

I believe a steel 1966 to be a bit unlikely; right now i find it to be very competitively priced towards comparable pieces by other leading brands. And not less nice

Within GP´s portfolio, it´s priced slighty below the average GP and i´m under the impression additions in that area are not exactly required.
A truly limited edition of 20 or 50 units will not affect the price, because doing steel cases in such little series is not more affordable than doing gold cases. A large edition in steel may "kill" the regular model in gold, therefore to me it doesn´t fit that well.

So i don´t see a steel Vintage 1966 for the future.
Which of course is a guess only!

Cheers,

Peter

Respond to this message   
Zen8
(Login Zen8)

Nicer actually!!

November 13 2006, 4:30 AM 

Tried comparing with JLC and VC side by side, all in rose gold and with own movement, to me, GP 1966 really stands out.

Agreed it is competetively priced for a rose gold watch, the list price is about USD3,000 cheaper than the other two. The ss version of JLC is about 40% of rose gold. If the same apply to GP 1966, really keen in getting this beautiful time piece.

Thanks Peter!

Respond to this message   

PeterCDE
(Login pc01)

I think so...

November 13 2006, 10:47 AM 

I´m not sure about the focus of GP to create lower priced watches; in that area, i think there´s already a lot of competition.
Well, maybe not by true manufactures...

Aside, a more dressy model like the Vintage 1966 is so much nicer in a precious metal
Right now the Vintage 1966 is priced under the average price of a GP timepiece and i´m not sure they really need to add more models to the lower range.

So i´d guess it´s better to start saving than to wait for steel unit to happen

Cheers,

Peter

Respond to this message   

Marcus (Zurich)
(Login MCG-64)

It si probably dependent on GPs plan on how much units they want to sell...

November 13 2006, 12:51 PM 

and in which price band they want to play. I see that GP is pushing its high end luxury watch making tremendously - I think it is very unlikely that the 1966 will be produced in steel.
However, I think GP is missing here an opportunity (by neglecting lower price bands)to expand the awareness of the brand to a new extent! I would be interested too - in steel but that does not count. Apparently business is good enough to concentrate on high margin products. That's ok - market demand has always regulated the price and I am happy for GP that they are successful! Although I will not buy a gold watch - and therefore no 1966 for me - which is a pity ...

Respond to this message   

PeterCDE
(Login pc01)

I think it´s not about quantity these days

November 13 2006, 1:49 PM 

Actually it´s a valid point, but in a somewhat different perspective.

I think it is safe to say the "era of Ferrari" is gone; a relatively simple watch with a lower-range price tag simply isn´t the field for a true manufacture to compete successfully.
Sure GP could do pieces in the range of 3K to 5K CHF, but not in the quality of a true manufacture and not in a quantity that allows to really compete with brands of a much higher output. That´s vital, especially in steel; unless you´re doing 1000 pieces or more, casework in steel is not less costly than gold.
When others are thinking in production runs of some thousand to some ten thousand pieces of a given model, at GP making 100 pieces is a large run. That´s pretty much what the Manufacture can do in the way the do.
On the other hand, you don´t see robotized assembly lines at GP.

In this, i think GP is on a good way. Not more pieces or more affordable units, but more interesting watches with new and interesting features. This doesn´t come by cheap; but then, there´s probably no shortage of offerings in the more affordable range.

In this, i think GP is on a right track.
It´s not for everyone; but then, Lange/AP/VC/PP aren´t either

Cheers,

Peter

Respond to this message   
Zen8
(no login)

Like the direction of GP of going high end but

November 13 2006, 7:47 PM 

if 1966 does come out in ss, i will grap it immediately. Quite tempted to get the rose gold one even i am not really into gold watch at all(except for the value of course). So, from now on, I really have to save for it.

I think it is the right strategy for GP to go high end to diffenciate itself from other affordable brands as that segment is rather crowded now. Hopefully, GP will be in the same league of PP/AP/VC/Lange soon.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page