<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Great opportunity, Pocket Watch.....

November 15 2006 at 11:32 PM
JC  (no login)

one of the 17 3-Golden Bridges that started to be made in 1982 is at acution in HK.... I wish I had not spent my budget now! I hope a fellow purist looks at it and buys it!
Also in there is a Journe designed Piaget Grand/Petite Sonnerie with Minute Repeater! WOW!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

PeterCDE
(Login pc01)

The holy grail, 500.000 CHF then...

November 17 2006, 8:50 AM 

Thanks!

This is going to be interesting, because it´s GP´s holy grail.
Coming from the watch, it´s simply another league than the wrist watches and requires a lot more efforts and skills. The small number do not allow for some kind of serial production, hence every part needs to hand-made on a one-by-one base. Of which there are many and much smaller than in the wrist watches, as this one does come with a spring-detent escapement. GP still is the only brand to do such and since the 2006 AP Cabinet No. 5, there´s not been other classic mono-impulse escapement around.
Compared to GP´s wrist tourbillon, these pocket watches are more than 10 times more efforts and time to do.
The execution is what you expect in this range, so you´re probably hard pressed to find a finer watch. And one with this pedigree!

Back in 1982, with a price tag of 500K CHF it was among the most expensive pieces in the Baselshow then.
16 sold in the first two days, 2 sold later. And in 2006, there are only 2 pieces of the initial production total of 20 units left, which will be encased in Platinum (a first for a GP Three Gold Bridges pocket watch).

All in all, it´s a pretty special piece.
It deserves someone who really appreciates what it is and how much efforts it represents, which certainly isn´t for everyone (but thankfully, there´s a dedicated book on these ).
So it deserves to fetch at least what it was then, because it´s really a completely different league than serial-produced watches these days, including the very complicated units!

Cheers,

Peter

Respond to this message   
JC
(no login)

then Peter,

November 19 2006, 9:13 PM 

go get it!!!! when is another one going to come up?!

Respond to this message   

PeterCDE
(Login pc01)

That would be great :-)

November 19 2006, 11:04 PM 

But i´m afraid i´ll have to stick with admiring such things from a distance

Of course you are perfectly right; it´s a very rare chance to get hold of a very rare and very special watch!
Apart from that, the Master Watchmaker who created it is going to retire in the near future. So there won´t be more than the remaining 2 units of the initial 20 pieces, if these will come to existance at all.

This might be apparent from the fact it is prominently featured in two books. One is 1983 book by Roland Carrera "Tourbillon Under Three Gold Bridges"

who describes the challenges and efforts in a great way.
The other is Reinhard Meis "Tourbillons", which is often referred to as "the bible" of all tourbillon fans.

It´s truly a collectible piece and i hope the new owner will find the time to see the historic piece which inspired the re-edition in the GP Museum.
There are so many interesting details and stories about both the historic piece and the re-edition, which are promising for a very special experience.

Cheers,

Peter

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page