<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Has anyone ever actually seen one??

November 28 2006 at 12:02 PM
Peter  (Login pschireson)
AP Discussion Group

Hi,
I've been longing and looking for an elegant white gold watch on a bracelet for a while and haven't found one that meets my (highly subjective) specs:
- not too dressy (eg Cartier), not too sporty (eg Royal Oak)
- large enough for a large wrist, but not massive (eg Panerai)
- not mostly about style (eg, Franck Muller), but reasonably stylish
I recently stumbled across this GP - Vintage 1945 Grande Date Phases de Lune - ref 25800.6.53.217. Wow. However, I've never actually seen one and in my experience I'm rarely happy with a watch purchased sight unseen, no matter how lovely the pics. Comments? Anyone seen one?
Thanks,
Peter

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

PeterCDE
(Login pc01)

Why not see and judge yourself?

November 28 2006, 12:33 PM 

G'day,

sounds like a trip to your GP dealer is due?
I´m sure he can help you out with the real thing; an experience probably impossible to beat with pictures or personal (subjective) impressions.

Personally i find these to be very nice in nature.
The grey dial/Breguet numerals is likewise uncommon and not seen often; the fine brushing makes for a beautiful view and it´s pretty legible.
This dial is available only for white gold models, though.

Cheers,

Peter

Respond to this message   
Peter
(Login pschireson)
AP Discussion Group

of course, however...

November 29 2006, 10:50 AM 

I've been to one in SF and it wasn't to be seen. With all due respect, I know it's probably heretical to say this, but GP appears to be a brand where buying from other than an AD offers relatively big financial benefits. In my limited experience, GP does not hold value terribly well in the secondary market, so especially when considering a white gold bracelet watch that retails for over $30,000.00, the prospect of buying from an AD is a bit daunting. I like to work with ADs for all the usual reasons, and for brands like Patek and Panerai that hold value, it's one thing. GP seems to be another. Thoughts?

Respond to this message   

PeterCDE
(Login pc01)

Well, a couple of points

November 29 2006, 11:09 AM 

First of all, i don´t see in how this is related to the watch in question... And as per forum guidelines, that´s a more appropiate topic than prices/values. Which doesn´t say i wouldn´t agree in some aspects, but that´s simply not in line with what we regard to fit this place.

As noted in earlier posts, buy it if you can afford it.
"It" includes a real choice, based on real things instead of pictures. Go and see it, try it and if you like it, buy it.
Personally i´d consider such choice naturally better based than choosing from internet pictures. And i do see it does have it´s price, which to some degree might pay off in that it allows you to choose a watch that really speaks to you. And the difference might be smaller than you think, given there´s probably a discount possible to neglect.

But to be blunt, personally i´m slightly tired of reading such questions and constantly pointing at our guidelines.
If you are focussed on getting the "best" price in first degree, you´re probably better served seeking for help in other places.
I much prefer to keep this place on topic in terms of the watches, for those who are interested in the object rather than it´s price.

Cheers,

Peter

Respond to this message   
Peter
(Login pschireson)
AP Discussion Group

no offense intended

November 29 2006, 5:52 PM 

Peter,
Thanks for your quick reply. I wouldn't consider buying this or any watch without seeing it in person. Please accept my apology if I have violated the rules of conduct of the forum. I didn't mean to overemphasize price. I do, however, think one interesting aspect of any brand is the way in which its value (represented at least in part by dollars)is perceived in the marketplace, which includes collectors, investors, hobbyists, etc. I continue to be interested in the Grande Date Phases de Lune and look forward to finding one to try on in person.
Peter

Respond to this message   

PeterCDE
(Login pc01)

None taken :-)

November 29 2006, 10:49 PM 

Hi Peter,

i think in some way, it´s about the hen and the egg.
No secret GP pieces are available at higher discounts than others. While it allows to buy something unique and nice for a comparably great price, this will affect pricing in secondary channels either.
So in some way, it´s the downside of the chance to get away with a substantial discount. Which isn´t the same for all models across the whole portfolio and not even the same throughout all regions; try to order a Three Gold Bridges tourbillon and see.

And as an alternative, there´s still a pre-owned piece here and then.

In the real world, for most customers of a GP timepiece all this is not an issue and choosing something special is more important.
It´s in fact like that; GP is not for everyone and mostly choosen by folks who are familiar with fine timepieces and can afford to buy something different in order to complete a collection of fine watches.
And in this regard, the 25800 is not GP´s most special or most expensive piece, but does have some unique features that set it apart from other watches:
The 25800 combines GP´s own automatic movement, GP´s own and very unique large date and GP´s own and very special "Vintage45" case.
It´s well made, reliable and trouble-free, legible and comfortable on the wrist.
And there´s a couple of unique features, which are apparent from the multi-page in-depth review in our GP Gallery.

So in the end, i think it does have it´s merits
This might be apparent from the relatively low number of pre-owned worn pieces on sale. It may suggest owners (who can afford one) do like these so much that they don´t part with them, which i find understandable and justified.

Cheers,

Peter

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page