Return to index  

More about Chopard Part 1 (Bees) >>

December 3 2006 at 12:53 AM

MTF  (Login MelvynTeillolFoo)

Dear Chopard forumners,

Some folks have been asking about the beehive that is a trademark of Chopard, particularly on their LUC range of watches. Here is a little bit of history.

We have to go back to circa 1730, when early Chopard family members lived off the land, in the depths of the Jura mountains of Switzerland. It was usual for farmers to earn extra income during harsh, long, winter months by accepting piecework for watch components. Some specialised in case work, dials, or even individual movements. In those days, every cog and wheel would only fit in the movement that it was made for. There were no technical drawings or mass production of components. This extra income avoided poverty in a region with harsh climate and poor soils.

On the advice of his father (Felicien), Louis-Ulysse Chopard learned watchmaking but he was different from his peers and ancestors. He did not wish to work at home to supply finished watches or components to companies that branded them as their own. This was common as well-known Brands were being incorporated at Saint-Imier, La Chaux-de-Fonds and Le Locle. Young Louis-Ulysse wanted to make and sell watches with the name Chopard on the dial so at the age of 24 years, he took over an old stone building in Sonvilier village, halfway between Saint-Imier and La Chaux-de-Fonds. The simple act of painting his initials L.U.C. directly on the stone facade was the start of the company in 1860....

And the bees? Well, Chopard ancestors were involved in beekeeping and farming. Always remember your roots!


This message has been edited by MelvynTeillolFoo on Dec 3, 2006 8:29 AM

 Respond to this message Home Page