<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Can anyone help me with specific LUC 1.96 scans? Plus other questions...

September 22 2003 at 5:09 PM
CR  (no login)

Hi Everyone,

I've never posted here before, and I'm interested in the LUC 1.96. I've been thinking about it on and off for about a year, and I've read most of the LUC 1.96 posts in this Forum's archives (did a search). Now I'm starting to look for them, new and used, and I've reached the limit of my "passive research." So, it's time for me to be more active.

Here are a few requests, if you could indulge me in helping me make a decision:

(1) Do you have any scans of a white metal LUC 1.96 (either WG or PT -- doesn't matter) with copper-colored dial? And with silver-colored dial? I've never seen a scan of the white metal/copper dial combination (or ANY case metal with copper-colored dial), and the only silver-dial scan I've seen was a single image from Walt Odets's review.

(2) Does the LUC 1.96 come standard with 2 straps, or 1 strap? Somewhere I thought I read about 2 straps -- not sure. Also, does Chopard offer its own short-length straps?

(3) Does Chopard offer a deployant for the LUC 1.96, and if so, are they available in all case metals? Price? Scan? [If it's similar to a Lange deployant, then I'd like it; if it's flowery and delicate-looking, like a Patek "snowflake" deployant, then I probably won't like it.]

(4) What was the last retail price for the LUC 1.96 in various case metals, and about how much should I actually expect to pay for a new and preowned one nowadays?

(5) Tell me why I should NOT get a LUC 1.96.

(6) Any other related thoughts or words of wisdom from the Chopardisti?

Kindly direct all price-related questions to me via private e-mail, if price discussions don't fit with the protocol of this Forum.

And thanks in advance for your help!

-Craig

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dennis
(Login dmankson)

On the deployant >>>

September 24 2003, 7:33 AM 

After I bought my 1.96, I went back to my dealer to order a deployant. I was a bit disappointed with what I got. The buckle/tang part of the clasp is in gold (and signed in the same typeface as is on the dial), but the rest of it is SS. A bit pricey for what it is. The clasp does close firmly and is sturdy.

My advice is to see it before you buy.

Respond to this message   
CR
(no login)

Thanks Dennis -- I was starting to feel like I was on a desert island. (-; May I ask....

September 24 2003, 1:36 PM 

which metal and dial combination you have, and if you have any general thoughts or observations about your 1.96 that you care to share? You can do it by e-mail if you want. Thanks.

Respond to this message   
Dennis
(Login dmankson)

I don't really have much to add >>>

September 26 2003, 6:51 AM 

I have the WG with silver face. One thing I didn't realize until I got the watch home and took the loupe to the display back is that the rotor is platinum, and not WG as I expected. That was a nice surprise.

I don't have anything to add to what you've already read in this forum, and elsewhere. I have had no problems with the date advance as Mr. Tang did. Beyond that, it is ultimately you who will live with the watch.

If I could change one thing, I would "fix" (easy for me to say, since I don't know how) the tendency of the minute hand to jump wildly when the crown is pulled out. Somehow it doesn't seem consistent with the quality level of the rest of the watch.

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

Some thoughts >>>

September 24 2003, 2:17 PM 

Craig,
Welcome! You have already searched our back-posts. Here are some thoughts.

(1) The LUC 1.96 was made in 2 editions:
16/1860/1 (100 pieces per metal colour) had a half-hunter back over sapphire caseback.
16/1860/2 (1860 pieces per metal colour) had interchageable solid and sapphire casebacks, albeit requiring fastened by screws. As the production numbers were limited by case metal and not by dial colour, it is uncertain how many pieces with white metal case & copper or silver dial were made. I suspect they were few and hence few scans too.

(2) My LUC 1.96 come with one strap. The confusion about 2 straps may be because the same design case/dial/movement base were offered in the more affordable LUC 3.96 range (without Geneva Seal) and lower grade of strap.

(3) I have never seen a Chopard deployant clasp dedicated to the LUC 1.96 range.

(5) You asked "Tell me why I should NOT get a LUC 1.96?" I have a number of LUC: 1.96, 1.98 and 3.96 movements, without problems and all offering excellent to superb finishing. Chopard has identified a small modification to the movement which will be done (silently) for all watches returning for the first time, for servicing or any other reason.

(6) Any other related thoughts or words of wisdom from the Chopardisti?
Although production of LUC 1.96 has ceased, you may still find some pieces, new at dealers. If not, pre-owned ones may surface. If getting pre-owned, check if the modified part has been replaced. I am not sure if it will be done without original papers.

Good luck!
MTF

Respond to this message   
CR
(no login)

Thanks Melvyn for your comments, If you could e-mail me, I'd very much appreciate it!

September 24 2003, 10:21 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

Some links to photos >>

September 25 2003, 11:39 AM 

Link to a PuristS' lunch where 16/1860/1 appeared:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=169624&messageid=1038567244

Link to PG case - Black dial LUC 1.98 as an approximation of the LUC 1.96 design family:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=125829&messageid=1054966895

Only extra feature on the dial is the power reserve indicator.

Regards,
MTF

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

Link to PP forum thread about LUC finish quality >>>

September 25 2003, 11:46 AM 

Respond to this message   
CR
(no login)

Thanks again Melvyn!

September 25 2003, 6:27 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
descartes92
(no login)

I saw a 1.96 at a Chopard boutique yesterday...

October 10 2003, 12:49 AM 

...and am thinking of buying it. Can I be confident the modification you speak of has already been performed? Could you please give a few more details about what exactly that modification entailed, so that I know what to ask the dealer, and what to look for? Thank you.

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

Please let us know >>

October 10 2003, 7:36 AM 

I don't know what the 'silent' modification is. It was relayed to us by JAW, my esteemed predecessor in a previous posting.

It will be retrofitted 'silently' at first visit to Chopard for service or any other reason. Obviously not a critical or universal problem otherwise we would have a re-call.

By definition, it is 'silent' so we know not. My suspicion is either the date change or tendency for minute hand to deviate from exact minute when setting time; both issues which I have NOT experienced.

If you find out, please let us know.

Regards, MTF

Respond to this message   
descartes92
(no login)

I shall ask the Boutique...

October 10 2003, 8:32 AM 

Strangely enough, the Chopard staff was very optimistic about being able to find 1.96 watches in any metal: they told me I might have to wait a bit for the combnation I wanted, but that all these watches had not yet been sold. I hope this is correct.

Respond to this message   
IanS
(no login)

I thought Walt Odets review to be a good one.

September 25 2003, 10:09 PM 

http://www.timezone.com/article.aspx?id=horologium&articleId=horologium631672821689171141

And his line 'While this is certainly among the finest--if not simply the finest--automatic caliber currently manufactured in Switzerland,....' says it all.

Remember this was written before the 1.96 line was joined by all of its brothers.

Respond to this message   

RT
(Login RTsai)
AP Discussion Group

A scan of my father's 1.96 in RG and some comments

September 27 2003, 8:26 AM 

Dear Craig,

It's so nice to see you on this forum. My dad got this 1.96 in RG back in July this year, and I took a scan of the watch. I have to say that the movement finish is really exceptional, even among the many watches that come with Geneva seals. The dial work is really very well executed, you should log on to www.chopard.com and watch their film on L.U.C. watches, my dad decided to go for the 1.96 instead of a Patek after watching it. The only thing that sort of bothers my dad is that since his wrist doesn't move his wrist very often throughout the day, the micro rotor doesn't get a lot of power reserve even it can take up to 65 hours. If you do end up getting one in eitehr WG or PT, be sure to share your scans here. Good luck!

Regards,

Roger

Respond to this message   
CR
(no login)

Beautiful scan Roger -- the RG is a real stunner,....

September 28 2003, 8:48 PM 

and thanks for the welcome -- your dad has great taste in watches! Thanks for the power reserve and the Chopard website info, too -- I had never visited their LUC page before. [Funny thing is, I got my dad a preowned Langematik several months ago, and just about 20 minutes before I read your post, I had asked him if the watch has ever stopped running yet.] If I pull the trigger on the 1.96, I'll let you know -- still waiting for more info to arrive.

Respond to this message   
descartes92
(no login)

I can't see the photo: please repost (nt).

October 10 2003, 12:55 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page