<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

1.96 LUC / 3.96 LUC too?

October 8 2006 at 12:15 AM
Gemini  (no login)

Can anyone advise if the 3.96 movement is an "inferior" movement to the 1.96.

I am asking with reference to the original LUC 1.96, ref 16/1860/2. I am aware there is a quite similar-faced dial but with a 3.96 calibre. Am aware the 1.96 calibre is limited to 1860 pieces, but is the 3.96 a limited addition too? Am most confused.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

bernardcheong
(Login bernardcheong)
AP Discussion Group

The 1 prefix is always higher in the absolute quantum of goodies.

October 8 2006, 6:32 AM 

I have been careful with my words here. It does not mean that a 1 series is "better" than a 2 ,3 and even 9.
There is a 9.96 used in the very limited edition.

The system Chopard uses is wise.

It does not segregate the prefixes in best, better and so on.

However, you can say that the 1.96 will have the fully loaded option, whereas the 3.96 is having an equally great finish and chassis, but without some of the options that are found in the 1.96.

The 9.96 is the bare essentials as I see it. From a purists POV, I actually love the bare boned versions at times.

It depends on a perspective of how relevant the options are in relation to your view of what the watch represents. So....

Respond to this message   
EriksonTWL
(no login)

Thanks

October 9 2006, 6:11 AM 

Thanks all for your response. Am certainly more enlightened now.

Just for the record - Bernard, i always look forward to reading your posts/contributions, whether in here or in the various magazines.

Again, thanks.

Should have identified myself ... Gemini is of cos me

Respond to this message   

kong
(Login vlkong)
AP Discussion Group

LUC 16/1860 & 16/1860/2

October 8 2006, 12:25 PM 

Bernard has provided a great explanation.

I read your question, and just add a few inputs:

1) 16/1860 with the 3.96 calibre &
2) 16/1860/2 with the 1.96 calibre.

a) The calibres are of not in limited edition, it is the model ie. the 16/1860/2 with various casing (WG,RG & PT) and dial configuration.
The 1.96 calibre is used in another model - the TWIST 16/1888.

b) To differentiate the 16/1860 & 16/1860/2 besides checking the calibres ( from the open case back), the dial spots the following difference:
i) Decor flamme guilloche for 16/1860/2
ii) 16/1860's dial not guilloche. Below the Chopard logo,printed 'Geneve Depuis 1860' and at the 6'o clock there is a round index.

The LUC finishing is superb. You have to see it for yourself.

kong

Respond to this message   
Gaz
(no login)

Geneva seal and Breguet overcoil is the main difference...

October 10 2006, 2:57 AM 

As far as I am aware (and I defer to the forum's experts for further clarification), the 1.96 carries the Geneva Seal Hallmark and has a Breguet overcoil balance spring while the 3.96 only has a COSC certification and a flat balance spring.

Having examined both today at the Two IFC Chopard boutique in Hong Kong, my untrained eye could not find any noticable difference in the finishing of both movements. I certainly would not consider the 3.96 to be "inferior" to the 1.96 other than the two noticable difference I mentioned.

I was particularly taken by the 4.96<<twin>> with its shorter centre second hand.

Hope this was helpful.

Cheers
Gaz

Respond to this message   
Gaz
(no login)

Geneva seal and the Breguet overcoil balance spring are the main difference...

October 10 2006, 2:59 AM 

Apologies for the poor grammer.

Cheers
Gaz

Respond to this message   

kong
(Login vlkong)
AP Discussion Group

Thanks Gaz for the additional inputs.

October 10 2006, 4:37 AM 

Gaz, you are correct.

Another difference is the rotor;
1.96 is a solid 22K gold while the 3.96 & 4.96, the rotor is 22K gold cap with bimetallic,heavy metal base.

Indeed all the LUC finishings are fantastic.
Hope this help.

kong

Respond to this message   
YMA
(Login normanau)

The main differences are...

October 10 2006, 7:12 PM 

Well, apart from having Geneva Seal hallmark and Breguet Overcoil (these two alone already well justify the extra cost), the 1.96 model has a solid gold hand guilloche dial.

Respond to this message   

bernardcheong
(Login bernardcheong)
AP Discussion Group

Correct, and in the 9.96 you will see that Chopard has set a new benchmark

October 11 2006, 8:40 AM 

The Qualite De Fleurier which offers an alternative to having a Geneva seal, which is very appropriate.

I support many watch makers which do not have a Geneva Seal, it does not make them any lesser, in fact there are many ways to get around the Geneva Seal as well...so having a credible alternative which emphasises on certain practical aspects of finish is a commendable forsight on Chopard and Parmegiani.

We have to look at things with a certain degree of our own judgement...the other day, in Italy, a certain gentleman who owns a reputable high end used watch dealership remarked with pride that " any time, Patek is the best watch money can buy.".....I lost all respect for his intellect.

A blunderbust statement like..." all and any Mercedes are the best cars in the world."...is a comparably sweeping statement...lemons were made....as well as a few masterpieces.

Anyway...don't shoot me.

Respond to this message   
King105
(no login)

Breguet Balance-spring for both 1.96/3.96

October 26 2006, 11:10 PM 

Hi,

I chanced upon the Chopard website stating that above; Balance-spring : Breguet, Nivarox 1 . Fyi.

Cheers.

King105

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page