<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

The simplest LUC under completely natural light...6 pictures

December 1 2006 at 2:05 AM

bernardcheong  (Login bernardcheong)
AP Discussion Group

All these are purposely taken under raw natural light, with a Canon point and shoot A700 on manual focus. This is to allow a more natural perspective of the watch, I will later post pics taken with a 1Ds and a 100mmm macro.

The watch is as raw as it is...no cleaning even! All reflections are natural! This is to allow everyone to see its beauty, and that nothing is studio or retouched!

Here, one looks carefully at the polished solid gold hour markers...look at the old turkish-like design. The very fine luminous dot is not painted on, but is probably applied as a "cup of luminous paint" upside down, onto the dial. I examined these under a medical scope in my lab.

Notice the gold dial and the interface between the gold and the dark brown chapter ring...I was overcome by the beauty of the ring.

Personally, I have expressed my view to LUC, that the execution of the ring and the dial chapters are so incredibly good, and of such perfect proportions...that they should think of adjusting the present series of the twist, and all those, with a dial like this one!

I may be wrong. But I found this dial just so perfect. Remember, I come from Urwerk, Vianney Halter, MBF1...so...it really takes ALOT to bring me back to a classic watch. I have too many already.

Note the soldered lugs!!! Chopard has the STRENGHT of being a jewelry company first...and their metal work is superb, second to none...and couple with the LUC movement...fantastic.

Note the hand engraving is SO BEAUTIFUL, that personally, I wanted this watch so much because of the closed back, allowing the finest engraving that was possible on a VERY thin case back. Unlike the deep gouges on some hefty casebacks...this one was thin, but in the old Patek way, thin but fine...a very diffiult thing to describe really.

Look at the hive, the bees are different on every watch, and the bees also have a head/tail orientation! There is a sense of both humor, and tradition!

Look at the BASE of the hive!!!

Next observe the demonstration of a traditional hand cut on the words "CHOPARD" and so on...you can see the fine gouging of the engraver's tool.

Next if you look at the serial numbers 116/250, you can see that the engraver, can also do the cut so fine, that no gouge marks remain, possibly a fine polish after the cut.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Very nice indeed

December 1 2006, 3:06 AM 

I love chopard, also for its design. I have a pro-one, but when I saw this Fluerier this was on my wanted list (however I luckely decided for a 18K JLC MM).

Respond to this message   
Art
(Login Drabble)
Brand Forum Moderators

Thank you, Bernard, . . .

December 1 2006, 7:47 AM 

. . . for posting these photos of a watch that emulates the elegant chronometers of our childhood. I'm currently acquiring perpetual calendars, but that phase is coming to an end . . . watches like this are timeless and will always be an essential part of a balanced collection. Cordially, Art

Respond to this message   

SuitbertW
(Login wsw_de)

Stunning pictures....

December 1 2006, 4:34 PM 

...and you're absolutely right - the dial is wonderfull.

Any info about the movement inside?

Thanks for shoring those pictures, Bernard!
Best
Suitbert

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

LUC 9.96 with Fondation Qualite Fleurier seal >>

December 2 2006, 2:12 AM 

Suitbert,

The FQF standard is very high (some say too high) and apart from a small limited edition from Parmiagiani, the only production series that attempts the standard is Chopard LUC.

The Geneva Seal is essentially an aesthetic standard and protection for Geneva based producers. The FQF seal is available to all manufacturers that are brave enough to try. There is a high failure rate even for LUC and the test is precision chronometric, engineering and aesthetic. The part that is most difficult for other manufacturers is the destructive testing - a small but expensive proportion of the batch is deconstructed - painful

- The movement must be COSC-certified
- The movement must have passed the CHRONOFIABLE test
- The movement must attain an exclusive aesthetic quality of finish
- The rating of the finished watch must be vouched for by the FLEURITEST machine

I asked Chopard Geneve for the reasons that this 1st series has a closed back:

1. LUC wanted to draw attention to the quality of the watch as a whole since the FQF tests the watch and not just unfinished movements.

Thus, the quality of the case, dial and movements are as a unified functioning whole (and not just superficial polishing of movement with Geneve or Dufour stripes) [words in brackets are mine ]

2. Each caseback is individually hand engraved to demonstrate that handicraft goes into each LUC watch but particularly the FQF standard of watches. Thus every piece is different from others. If you had a sample of many watches, you will see the positions and number of bees being different because each engraver is not bound to a pattern!!!

Regards,
MTF

This message has been edited by MelvynTeillolFoo on Dec 2, 2006 2:32 AM

Respond to this message   
jokoh
(no login)

Ok...now that explains a lot ;-)

December 2 2006, 8:28 AM 

Thanks Melvyn....hmmm but I still want an open back to see the beautiful movement. I saw the movement without case in KL during the Conquest Of Time and I fell in love with it AND I don't mind if they don't decorate it ...hehe

cheers
joe

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

FQF Seal is not on the movement >>

December 2 2006, 9:25 AM 

For your delectation, the FQF mark is on the case; no need to get the can-opener out

Just 'feel the force' and trust that LUC is 'pure'....

Regards, MTF

Respond to this message   
Jacky
(Login EuJax)
PP Discussion Group

Wow...thats something new to me...

December 2 2006, 6:40 PM 

Thanks MTF for bringing us the facts behind this LUC watches FQF..never knew there were this test. Bravo to LUC for passing this test!

Regards
Jacky

Respond to this message   
jokoh
(Login Jokoh)
AP Discussion Group

I would prefer an open back ......

December 1 2006, 8:02 PM 

But i think in this case, the engraving at the back makes up for the "lost" images of the movement
I'm still considering.........

cheers
joe

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

See reply to Suitbert above (nt)

December 2 2006, 2:12 AM 

Respond to this message   
Jacky
(Login EuJax)
PP Discussion Group

Thanks Bernard..

December 1 2006, 8:35 PM 

Actually i never really appreciate LUC before you introduce them to me. They are indeed very fine watch and the Chronometre is simply elegant and classic, closest to Philippe Dufour's design as well and i do not think the finishing level is of anything lower compare to Dufour. The movement is beautifully done as well and thus i would prefer a see thru case back to be able to admire the beauty

Thanks again for the photos.

Cheers,
Jacky

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

See reply to Suitbert above (nt)

December 2 2006, 2:13 AM 

Respond to this message   
georgeho
(Login georgeho)
AP Discussion Group

I was inspired enough to count the bees ....

December 2 2006, 10:11 AM 

and compare the engravings on mine with yours at 2 am after reading your post.Thanks Bernard again
for guiding me to the LUC Fleurier. God is in the details ! The amount of thought and design that
has gone into such a simple watch is truely amazing . Aesthetics aside ,its inner beauty is proven
by the Qualite Fleurier Foundation . I cant ask for anything more !

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page