<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Two years

August 29 2007 at 9:18 AM
Jeff Thomas  (Login JeffThomas)
Everyone
from IP address 24.17.62.124

Two years sober today. It feels good. Actually I get to celebrate being alive as I tried to kill myself a couple of weeks before I went into treatement. Mostly life is good, I'm working full time again, my wife is still with me. Sure there's some bumps in the road, but I have a lot of help dealing with them now.

Now, if I could just sell one of the books, I'd be all set.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Sheryllynn)
Everyone

Congratulations

August 29 2007, 10:42 AM 

Congratulations! That is super news. I'm glad you are here and that life is going well.

Sheryl

Respond to this message   
Tara
(Login arats)

Well done

August 29 2007, 8:04 PM 

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!what an achievement.........
The best way to get back at the witnesses is to lead a happy life......
Tara

Respond to this message   

(Login Helen52)

wow

August 30 2007, 7:47 AM 

I do not know what to say, except glad you are still here
hugs
Helen

Respond to this message   

(Login Linnz)
Everyone

Congrats to you!

August 30 2007, 7:09 PM 

Hi Jeff
As a recovering alcoholic myself, I know how important those milestones are. I am so happy for you. One day at a time gets us quite a way, doesn't it? And.....the only thing I have to say is that the best is yet to come.

Love and best wishes
Lin

Respond to this message   
Neil
(Login captainkirk449)
Everyone

I was involved long before baptism

September 2 2007, 11:40 AM 

I was sober and involved in AA before I started to study. I studied with elders who lived and worked in Watchtower Farms in Wallkill, NY.
They have been “Bethelites” for over 40 years, and they made no objections as to my involvement in AA.
I remained an active witness for over 7 years.
I found it extremely difficult to maintain both parts of my life because of conflicting beliefs.
I am happy to say that I never stopped going to AA, but I did disassociate myself from the witnesses.
During the course of my involvement with the witnesses, I had the privilege of meeting many people who were having a hard time getting sober or staying sober because of negative input from their fellow witnesses or from the society in general. I guess I either flew under the radar, or knew enough about both to be able to defend myself under scrutiny. My heart aches whenever I think of those lost souls who are condemned to a life of misery because the society doesn’t condone involvement in recovery. I find it harder to recover from their misguided teachings, than it was to get sober.
I am now in the unique position to be of help, not only to newcomers in recovery, but to those who have a witness background, who seek a better way of life, via sobriety.

Respond to this message   

(Login brenda615)
Everyone

Wonderful!

August 30 2007, 8:36 PM 

I am happy for you!

I guess if you have a drinking problem and are an active J.W., they would just DF you. I'm betting no way would they allow a memeber to get involved in AA?

Brenda

Respond to this message   
Jeff Thomas
(Login JeffThomas)
Everyone

Thanks all

August 30 2007, 9:22 PM 

One of the interesting things I've discovered over these two years is the level of support expressed by those not afflicted with this problem. I have yet to hear anything but encouragement from the people around me.

Brenda: JW's would have a cow over AA. It is a very spiritual program, and welcomes everyone. I've met Catholics, Protestants of all stripes, Jews, a couple of Budhists, a Swedenborgian, and a number of agnostics. I have a good friend who could best be described as a devout atheist. It works for him.

Respond to this message   

(Login briannon)
Everyone

wow

September 2 2007, 5:57 PM 

that is AWESOME!
Congrats
--b

Respond to this message   

(Login Hojon)
Friends

Way to go Jeff

September 2 2007, 7:55 PM 

I remember when you first made it public that your marriage and job(s) were both in trouble.  Glad to see the marriage made it through.

-Craig

Respond to this message   

(Login Huskey777)
Everyone

Remember the Cowardly Lion

September 3 2007, 8:52 PM 

You my dear, are to be commended. For your love of life, for your endurance, for your honesty, and for your empathy. Self medicating is just that, the medicating of yourself to cover pain. How so very wonderful that you are free! How sweet it is that you are living again! Don't be offended, but God bless you in all that you do for you and your family.

Another testament to the will to live. Courage. The lion didn't know he had it all along. What he didn't have was the recognition, so the wizard of oz gave him a medal. If I were there, I'd give you one. For the courage to stand up, and do it. Remember, Dorothy, the scarecrow, the tinman, and the lion, all had what they were searching for all along, it was within them the whole time, they just never had anyone see them for their strengths. Rock on!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Two years
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement