Return to index  

Much truth in your post, but there are certain things that the pros look for...

October 27 2001 at 9:12 PM

ThomasM  (Premier Login thepurist178)
AP Discussion Group

Response to My Take On The Subject

Hi, John, Winetrader,

Personally, when a wine will peak and how long it will take to get there, stay there, and how fast it will decline afterward, is an educated guess, at best.

So many other variables besides the wine itself will also effect the "aging" of a bottle, including storage history since bottling, that the longevity of a particular vintage is moot, at best.

But then, according to basic psychological theory, it is this very unpredictibility that makes the subject so fascinating.

Conventionally, two main elements "pros" look for is a combination of acidity and tannins. In the "old days" - before Mr. Parker and the globalization of wine connoisseurship - conventional wisdom believed that a long lived wine was unapproachable and completely closed in its youth, being just mouth searingly tannic before closing down, sometimes taking decades to wake up and show its latent brilliance.

Now, with a more scientific approach, the ascendency of the UC Davis school of oenology and its myriad graduates cum winemaking consultants cum gurus, and the "mix to Mr. Parker's rating system" method of winemaking, many of the modern wines are much more approachable in their youth, and the "experts" as still heralding their longevity.

Time will tell; I'll be measuring it on my EOT and marking the time with my repeaters as each milestone passes.

Personally, call me a sentimentalist, traditionalist and a conservative, but I long for the old days...

Regards,

TM

Respond to this message   
Responses

ThePuristS.com Home Page