Return to index  

I would think that you're in the minority, in regards to your music tastes...

September 2 2002 at 3:47 AM
Saturn  (no login)

Response to Ruth's Chris; noise in restaurants

There's a reason that clothes stores and such play this bland, sort of mutated pop come R&B half-breed excuse for music so much - people genuinely like this mindless, commercial, formulaic drivel. I have for a long time liked John Peel's show on BBC Radio1, when I'm home in time to listen it, but apparently this may well be axed soon, or so I read, along with the few other programmes that do not cater to this mass-market "sound". I shall restrain myself, like you, from going off on a rant.

Restaurants, at least the newer ones, are becoming more aware of their background music. In a recent review I read, at least half the review was dedicated to the restaurant's choice of music (not that I am saying this is a good thing, and this particular review was beyond the pale anyway - I personally don't go to restaurants to listen to their [perhaps great, I don't know] selection of hand-picked by the land's top DJ, camp 60's tracks). But, a great many still play the music too loud. It's the same with most bars/pubs - the music is so loud that all you can manage is the occasional shouted soundbite. But, I still believe that many feel more comfortable in this environment in that one doesn't have to engage in too much conversation.

I think that Ruth's Chris could do really well in London (besides there're plenty of Americans here to eat there even if it does prove to not be to British tastes, which I doubt would be the case anyway).

Regards,

Andrew.

Respond to this message   
Responses

ThePuristS.com Home Page