Return to index  

"I don't care to belong to a club that >>>

November 13 2002 at 10:19 PM

MTF  (Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

Response to Dear Melvin,

accepts people like me as members." - G. Marx

Peter,
Maybe the rules are to keep me out!.....paranoia is a busy place to be standing at.

You are correct about Maxims de Paris and their demise.

Today, the definition of jacket 'required' vs 'preferred/optional' seems to be a moveable feast (sic), especially in the economic downturn. Maybe they slide you into a discrete corner if you can afford to turn up.

Are there barely perceptible changes noticed in guidebooks from 'smart elegant' to 'smart casual' over the years?

I always comply with house rules if I patronise an establishment with formal dress codes. That is part of an unwritten contract and impolite to flout. It is then free choice for the individual if he wants to patronise the restaurant and play the game.

I agree that for non-formal occasions, when there's no beauty contest and where the restauranteur has no formal rules, it is boorish to ridicule a fellow patron's body shape or attire.

Here are the replies when I called some "formal" restaurants or concierges asking about evening dress codes. In brackets are (dress code in reviews or websites). All restaurants are more relaxed at lunchtime and may be listed so in reviews.

Raffles Grill - required (smart elegant).
The Lighthouse - required (smart elegant & casual).

Au Jardin - optional (smart elegant & smart casual).
Les Amis - optional (smart elegant & smart casual).

The first two fine dining establishments are the ones I meant in previous post. Any real-life experiences to the contrary?
Regards, Melvyn

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page