Return to index  

my impressions

May 6 2004 at 6:09 AM
Pallet Fork  (no login)

Response to Reasons for conclusion? >>

Not a problem here are the reasons. However - it seems a bit burdensome to explain why I don't agree with what I thought was an inexplicable rating. I wish whoever wrote these ratings would give some explanation but doubt the courtesy would be returned. Please note - I did not use the word "suck" - I would not go that far.

Felix... designed by Philip Starke, the Decor and setup is quite interesting. From the elevator's shifting lights one enters the main dining room. The bathrooms are a load of fun but will not get into the details here. The atmosphere is ideal for drinks after work.... Thats the positive.

Now the food. Felix is a fusion restaurant - and as a result falls into the fusion trap many restaurants suffer which is - form over substance. And yes, like most fusion restaurants tend to spend quite a bit of effort trying to get the food stacked up "i.e. going vertical". I would say the quality of the food and service is quite variable dependent on the customer load - a sign that either the kitchen staff can't cope or they are have too many seats. The end result is compromised quality. Getting to the point - the food lacks "balance and harmony"... granted most fusion places find this very difficult. Given the price of the food, I would have expected a higher quality of product but ... that is not the case.

Having said that, there are easily two other restaurants at the Pen (same hotel) which are better. a) Chesa and b) Gaddi's. I just can't understand why Felix would be in there and not Gaddi's - the food is miles above Felix for anyone with at least 2 taste buds. Which is why I used the word inexplicable.

Responses

ThePuristS.com Home Page