Return to index  

Question about Bordeaux wines in Hong Kong

June 2 2004 at 10:04 AM
  (no login)

Response to Still with Shangri-La hotels and resorts......

Hi Richard

Congratulations on your promotion! I travelled to several countries in Asia last year, at virtually all the chain hotels I stayed in, I was invited to join the privileged guest program. I did with little enthusiasm, as I don't stay in such places enough to collect a useful amount of points. The Shangri-la Kowloon was an exception though, there I got upgraded to a Club Level room just for signing up to the program, excellent!

I have a question about Hong Kong and fine wines. A while ago, I saw a TV documentary which dealt with the ever-rising prices of first growth Bordeaux wines. One reason given for the price increases was the wines were now in demand in areas like SE Asia which they hadn't been in the past. They showed the Peninsula's overbrimming cellar and one of the sommeliers described how French prestige wines were now a standard at Hong Kong power lunches. And he also mentioned that many times these wines (preferably Le Pin and Petrus) were drunk with mixers like cola or orange juice. Is this really true or just a figment of the author's imagination?

Regards

Hans

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page