Return to index  

Grazing Magnificently Italian Again at Eddalino's; London Revisited (photos)

October 15 2004 at 3:13 AM
MTF  (no login)

Grazing Magnificantly Italian Again at Eddalino's; London Revisited

Some time back, I posted a series of visits to Eddalino's http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=131774&messageid=1083261570

On a stopover in London recently, I had my choice of restaurants but there is something to be said for the reassurance of an old favourite....

Senor Troga's welcome was as friendly as ever and a glass of bubbling prosecco appeared. As usual, I grazed alone (sniff) but had the pleasure of gazing at more than a few attractive ladies....ah...the appreciation of fine things in life can be free.

I noticed that quite a few of the clients were Italian, which also comforted me.

Wine:

Suavia, Monte Carbonare, Soave

Light golden colour with green tints

Amuse bouche: Mussel salad

Dall' Acqua: Capesante spadellate con uova di qualia al tegamino e finocchietto grigliato al balsamico

Pan-fried scallops with quail's eggs & chargrilled baby fennel in balsamic

Browned but tender scallops, enriched by the yolk of quail's eggs, felt simply decadent in the mouth but the cool fennel and tomato salad presented a sweet healthy counterpoint. The fennel could have had a little more seasoning but otherwise a delicious start.

Pasta: Freshly made tortelli stuffed with braised beef and served with butter thyme sauce.

Al dente pasta and flavoursome filling, coated with unctuous butter and thyme sauce, sprinkled with parmesan cheese....mmm...mmm.

By this time, the wine had opened out into delightful floral notes and swirled magnificently to wash down the best part of any Italian meal - pasta.

Pesci: Filetto di branzino alla griglia con insalatina di finocchio alla bottarga di muggine

Chargrilled wild sea bass served with fennel salad and tossed with "bottarga di muggine"

Superb! Wild fish is better than farmed produce despite advances in technology. The carbonised aromas and succulent white flesh melted in the mouth. The secret ingredient is the bottarga di muggine, which appeared to be dried salted fish roe. This imparted a wonderful salty tang to the dish. I could not believe that anything could top the pasta course but this was it!

Roasted baby potatoes

Strawberry palate cleanser

Dessert: Tortina alla mandorla con prugne e crema alla vaniglia

Almond and prune tartlet with vanilla cream also had other red berries added for maximum indulgence.

Dessert wine: I did not catch the name. It may have been Vin Santo 1985 from Toscana, but I cannot be sure. The whole bottle of Soave and jet-lag had caught up with me by now!

Espresso and Biscuits

CONCLUSION:
On a wet rainy evening in London, what could be more comforting than this solid culinary performance and friendly service.....again!  Mille grazie.

Photos and Text Copyright Melvyn Teillol-Foo, 2004.

This message has been edited by MelvynTeillolFoo on Oct 15, 2004 3:20 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page