Return to index  

Being a Sydney-sider, may I contribute my two cents ...

May 29 2006 at 10:28 PM
Gaz  (no login)

Response to Just came back from Sydney...

Tetsuya's is certainly the iconic chef of Sydney. He is also a passionate WIS and several of us Down Under Purist have had the pleasure of his company at several watch events. His ocean trout is to die for as is his attention to detail on every dish that leaves his kitchen. He is a dedicated and focused on his one and only restaurant. There may be plans for a WIS night out at his restaurant.

While Rockpool is Neil's flagship restuaruant, he is much more of a businessman than a chef these day. Like Tetsuya, he pioneered Asian fusion into modern Australian cuisine. While Tetsuya favoured Japanese and French techniques, Neil fused Chinese and French methods. He was also instrumental in introducing Australians to Chinese food, ie beyond sweet and sour pork, chow mein and mongolian lamb. However, being Chinese, I have found his implementation of Chinese techniques and ingredients to be rather bland. As a matter of personal taste, I would have rather spent my money at Melbourne's Flower Drum. Now, they really know how to extract every ounce of flavour from abolone.

Est. on the other hand is a very different restaurant. You certainly would have had a great meal with the freshes seafood and ingredients available executed by Peter Doyle. It is a little harder to compare Peter with Tetsuya or Neil because his approach is so different. The Establishment caters to a younger market. Their other restaurant, Sushi E, is fantastic although I'd prefer Azuma's at Chifley Tower.

I hoped you enjoyed your stay in Sydney.

Cheers
Gaz

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page