Return to index  

Best of 2008

January 9 2009 at 11:26 AM
jkingston  (no login)

Hi Forumners:

I thought it would be fun to post a series of the best dishes of 2008. I am indeed a lucky soul as I am writing a lot for Lettres du Brassus, the Blancpain magazine. In addition to all of the watch articles we include the category "Art de Vivre" which covers a variety of good life topics, but always restaurants and wine. For example our most recent issue features Philippe Chevrier, a really fab (but should be ***) near Geneva and champagne. The issue before that highlighted De Karmeliet in Bruges and Chambertins. Our next issue will cover Guy Savoy in Paris. I highly encourage the gang to subscribe (its free, after all); you can register on the Blancpain web site.

But apart from the magazine food stories, I have gone through my collection of restaurant photos from this past year and selected many of the best dishes. There are too many to include in one post. Think of this as a series which will roll out over several days.

Kicking things off:

The roast duck from Le Pont de Brent in Montreux. Few kitchens can produce a perfectly rare whole roast duck. No one does it better than Gerard Rabaey. This meat simply vaporizes in the mouth.

451853569_A9di7-X3.jpg

Staying on the meat theme, down the road at Philippe Rochat it was the baby goat (cabri). Succulent beyond imagination and set off perfectly by the fresh morels.

451853466_k5iS6-X3.jpg

Philippe also produced another of the Best of 2008 with his chamois in the fall. This is baby Austrian deer and it was fabulous--served with a spicy game sauce.

451853404_5FW6k-X3.jpg

I cannot say enough good things about Jean-Pierre Bruneau in Brussels. Michelin took away his third star a few years ago--for no reason that I can detect. I am devoted to his restaurant and every year he prepares several of the best of the year dishes.
On the list this year is one of his classics: lobster with truffles, beans and parmessan.

451855038_y7WG5-X3.jpg

I have been going to Guy Savoy for 20 years. This is his rouget with cepes. A sensational and unexpected preparation. (Don't miss the article on him coming up in Lettres du Brassus--the next issue).

451855039_JUzPM-X3.jpg

So that's the line up for today's post. Several more will follow.

Jeff

Respond to this message   
Responses

ThePuristS.com Home Page