Return to index  

Little Beijing House, Melbourne

April 11 2012 at 7:45 PM

AndrewD  (Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

Response to Thanks to Andrew D I have discovered a new place for duck- Simons

During the Simons Peiking Duck review, another Melbourne underground duck venue surfaced: Little Beijing House (LBH).

This restaurant is even more out of the way and grungy than Simons, but the comparisons are interesting: You order the number of ducks you want at the time of booking. The price is fixed per duck with soup and noodle accompaniment. While Simons launches straight into the duck, at LBH our palates are teased with a rich peppery duck soup, much more flavorsome than Simons. (However, after a plate of Peking duck at Simons you are glad of a light soup to wash away the oil!).

The Peking duck here is quite different. The pancakes are thin and strong but slightly rubbery. The duck meat is wonderfully flavored and the skin crispy, but overall it is less fatty and slightly drier than Simons. And this is where our table of hungry duck lovers were divided in opinion. I feel that the rich tasty duck fat so prominent at Simons ties all the flavours together and spreads them around the mouth in a way that lasts well after the mouthful is swallowed. The LBH version was less orgasmic, but still had some great flavours.

And the noodles were superior to Simons with more duck meat and the accompanying greens had the appropriate crunch and I liked the fact that the sauce was served on the side and not poured over the greens.

So LBH should definitely be on any duck lovers list, but along with Simons and Quanjude (review to follow), that list is certainly not mutually exclusive.

Andrew

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page