Return to index  

Well, I'll gladly contribute my .02, one cent at a time........

June 30 2001 at 7:12 PM
SteveG  (no login)

Response to New to wine and to this forum... Let the education begin>>>

penny 1.

Yes it is a vast subject, and keep in mind that every hour of every day, subtle new variations of the established grape genestock are developing, the weather is determining the quality and nature of the next vintage, wines in barrels and basements and caves and ships are slowly evolving...

and

new and established winemakers are planning and designing to make a better wine from the grapes and land they have or might have or might want all over the world...Oregan has great Pinot Gris, Australia great Reisling, New Zealand -- Sauvignon Blanc, Argentina -- Malbec, Lebanon -- at least one great Bordeaux blend, USW...

and

next year all these folks and many newcomers will present you with an entirely new complete set of wines

penny 2

Because of this, I recommend you find at least 1 printed survey of general wine history, technology and terminology, and study it thoroughly. Depending upon your mental constitution, you might wish to pick up any of several "wine course" type books found at any large book store, or if your mind fuctions like mine, simply read Alexis Lichine's Encyclopedia or the Oxford Companion to Wine. Leave the stuff like annual vintage opinions until later.

In the meantime, wine is good for you, it makes food taste better and tastes better with food (usually) and it can be enjoyed on virtually any budget. The universe of good-to-great wine is so vast, and really bad wine just isn't in the bottle except for rarely. Oh, a wine may be a disappointment or not as good as another for the price or the year or the grape or the producer...but almost never undrinkable and valueless and uneducational. I have had 1-3 or so glasses or wine daily for...well almost forever, and almost every bottle I open is new to me. That's right, I almost never buy a case, and I rarely buy more than 2 of anything. I am most likely to walk out of a wine shop with a case or 2 or 3 of 12 or 24 or 36 different wines, none of which I have ever had before, and I am in no danger of running out of candidates. I mention this for just one reason: even if you decide to choose your wine in a more "conventional" fashion later, at least to start with, Don't Be Afraid To Try The Unknown. Find a store with a reasonably knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff and a wide selection. Try whatever interests you and is within your budget. Sure, ask about it so you'll understand how to best enjoy it, look it up in your book when you get home, if you like it try a different vinyard or part of the world for that grape, or try different wines from the same region.

Just don't worry about it , Enjoy It!

OK, maybe that was 3 cents.

Steve Gurevitz

Respond to this message   
Responses

ThePuristS.com Home Page