<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Le Bec Fin.

September 6 2002 at 12:18 PM
Jeffrey Ying  (Login JYing)

What is everybody's opinions of the restaurant, Le Bec Fin? I have the cookbook of Georges Perrier, and the reciepes do look quite to be a gastronomic pleasure. But then I have never been to the establishment itself so please do post any opinions.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
jkingston
(no login)

My Experiences

September 6 2002, 4:29 PM 

I have very close friends who live in Philadelphia and who swear by Le Bec Fin. They go often and offer unqualified praise. I have been 3 times (although the last time was 5 years ago) and must confess I have been a bit disappointed every time. To be true the food was always good, just not other wordly as the price suggests it should be. The service and ambiance were top notch (albeit on the very formal side). I should confess that I am a harsh critic. When the price is stratospheric I expect the food to be sensational with brilliant conception, pure flavors, cooking precision, fabulous ingredients, generosity in quantity etc. I can name no flaw in any of the meals I have had there, I just can't identify any memory of something that makes me want to go back. By contrast say the words, Lameloise, Pont de Brent, Guy Savoy or Rochat and I am game to go in a heart beat and can recount any number of other wordly experiences I have had there. Jeff

Respond to this message   
ThomasM
(no login)

Interesting about Le Pont de Brent...

September 7 2002, 3:34 AM 

Hi, Jeff,

Though I actually ENJOYED Le Pont de Brent more than Rochat, I remember the food as being more memorable at Rochat. A number of people I spoke to in Lausanne agreed, surprisingly.

Goes to show the actual food on the plate and on the palate may not completely overwhelm the whole perceived dining experience.

Possibly thinking about a Glashuette trip, open to forum community members, in November or December. Possible for you to join? Care to be the official gourmet coordinator? What do you suggest around Dresden, or should we count on making the restaurant a destination unto itself?

Regards,

TM

Respond to this message   
Saturn
(no login)

Which other Paris *** restaurants have you eaten in?...

September 7 2002, 4:30 AM 

Have you tried Ledoyen or Taillevent (I haven't)?

How does Guy Savoy compare to the likes of Lameloise or Pont de Brent (excluding considerations of price)?

Thanks and regards,

Andrew.

Respond to this message   
jkingston
(no login)

The Paris Scene

September 8 2002, 12:26 PM 

I am ashamed to admit how many times a year I go to Paris but it is a lot. At this point I have pretty much sampled my way around town. First let me say that with the exception of Guy Savoy, I now reserve my "off the chart" dining experiences for the country outside of Paris. This is not to say that the top line restaurants in Paris are not good, but that they simply lack the warmth, inspiration and generosity of places like Lameloise (there is that name again), Pont de Brent and Rochat. Guy Savoy is the exception, although frightfully expensive it is simply exquisite (and yes, generous). Taillevent I am sorry to say used to be better. Although the welcome is warm and everything is perfect, I find the food lacking in inspiration. I have enjoyed it each time, but would rather spend my money elsewhere, to be frank. Among the two stars Carre de Feuillants is among my favorites. It has a great wine list and Alain Detournier is a chef who never puts a wrong foot down. If you are a duck person, then hasten off to Michel Rostang and have his canard au sang. It costs an arm and a leg, but is worth every cent. A secret is Jamin. Here avoid the menu and go a la carte. It is the most reasonably priced of the two stars. As for Apicuis, I don't get it. Sleek yes; but food that makes no sense to me. Been twice and left each time scratching my head as to how it received any stars. The simple places please me more these days. The list includes Benoit, Allard (can anything be better than their duck with olives or pintade au lentilles?), Au Trou Gascon (just changed chefs and lost a little edge, but still good), Le Recamier, L'Epi Dupin, Le Bellecour (cosy, like eating in someone's home). Heck I could go on for pages about this. Jeff

Respond to this message   
Kevin in London
(no login)

No doubt you're still scratching your head...

September 9 2002, 10:51 AM 

trying to figure out how one Mr Ramsay received his stars too... Forget the name of the guide, but he recently ended up on the best and worst list at the same time (!)

So, when's your next visit? Look forward to having our usual at Dukes and then The Square.

Best regards
Kevin

Respond to this message   
Daniel Kremens
(no login)

Ah Le Bec Fin

September 7 2002, 4:39 PM 

Hi Jeffery,
As a Philadelphian, Watch Idiot Savant and lover of food and wine, I can strongly recommend Le Bec Fin. Right now, LBC is closed until next week for renovations. The restaurant is truly wonderful and Perrier a genius, although somewhat temperamental. In recent years, he has stretched himself a bit thin by opening other restaurants but LBC remains a treasure. The style of the restaurant is classic haute cuisine so if you expect to be wowed by some trendy food, you'll be disappointed. Instead, he offers world class service and cuisine. Philadelphia is teeming with great restaurants right now. I would strongly recommend Striped Bass (the manager and former sommelier Ed Murray is a treasure), The Fountain at the Four Seasons (Stephan Castera sommelier extraordinaire) and Vetri (Marc Vetri clearly what Mario Batali wants to be). Lets have a Philadelphia Purists meeting!

Respond to this message   
amrx
(no login)

Re: Ah Le Bec Fin

September 8 2002, 1:54 PM 

On a business trip to Philadelphia in July I ate at Morimoto once and was disappointed. I liked Striped Bass and ate there twice. I was even more impressed with
Fountain at the Four Seasons and ate there twice also.
Le Bec Fin and Petri lost out to the return trips.

Respond to this message   
Jeff Hart
(Login JeffHart)

Planning on dining at Le Bec Fin next Friday >

September 10 2002, 5:04 AM 

Didn't know about the renovations and as it will be my first visit I won't be able to post a comparative review, but will be happy to post any observations.

Cheers,
Jeff

Respond to this message   

ThomasM
(Premier Login thepurist178)
AP Discussion Group

Please do! And sneak in a camera if you can...t'would be nice to see the results

September 10 2002, 9:48 AM 

of the renovation.

Thanks,

TM

Respond to this message   
R Washburn
(no login)

Don't forget the new "Lacroix" in the Rittenhouse Hotel

September 11 2002, 2:19 PM 

Jean-Marie Lacroix was the award winning Chef behind the Fountain restaurant, until his sudden firing last year, the day after receiving his James Beard award for "best Mid-Atlantic Chef". I expect great things from these restaurants.

Le Bec-Fin is right up there with ADNY and Daniel in my opinion. Great restaurant to dine at, but I wouldn't want to work there.

Robert

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page