<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Feasting along the Cotes d'Azur

September 12 2002 at 11:33 AM
Hans Zbinden  (no login)

Hello Forumners

Barely two weeks I flew down to the South of France and met up with Lord Arran for a fabulous weekend of gourmet food. Due to the countless dishes we tried, the report on our two dinners turned out 7 pages long and includes 45 pictures so posting it here directly would have been a bit problematic. I've uploaded the report to my website, it can be viewed by clicking the link below:

Feasting along the Cotes d'Azur

Lord Arran and I hope you enjoy the report and don't get too hungry reading it !

Regards

Hans

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
amrx
(no login)

Re: Feasting along the Cotes d'Azur

September 12 2002, 2:42 PM 

Wouldn't care for Villa de Lys at all. Oasis much more interesting. The truffles are summer truffles or am I wrong?

Respond to this message   

Lord Arran
(Login Lord__Arran)
Comm center

You are right for the summer truffles but certainly wrong not to care about the Villa de >

September 12 2002, 10:03 PM 

Lys. The Villa de Lys has at the moment the highest rating of any Restaurants in Cannes and neighborhood (according to Gault et Millau, which guide is much more going into details and my preferred one).

I like the Oasis of course very much (going back there the day after tomorrow and alredy quite excited), but the Villa de Lys is an absolute must if you are in Cannes or not far from it.

Lord Arran

Respond to this message   
John Ip
(no login)

Wonderful! Wonderful! Thank you to Hans and Lord Arran. nt

September 12 2002, 3:34 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Christof Stefaner
(no login)

Hey, no accident ...

September 12 2002, 11:37 PM 

... has let me visit this part of the P178 forum for the very first time, but designation.

My wife and me are going to Riviera/Monaco/Cote d'Azur tomorrow for the next 14 days as our this years holidays.

Oh boy, I have had no breakfeast today so far ...

Best regards,
Christof

P.S.: you didn't tell anything about prices, and also, I always had my problems with menus written in french only!

Respond to this message   

Lord Arran
(Login Lord__Arran)
Comm center

You may rest assured that in these places they dispose of a menu card also >>

September 13 2002, 12:43 AM 

in English.

By the way the menu at the Villa de Lys was around US$ 250 and the one at the Oasis around US$ 100.

This does not include wine, cognac, coffee, water etc.

But there are also menues (with less dishes of course) for US$ 120 to 150 at the Villa de Lys and if you prefer to eat à la carte it can even be less.

Omnia rara cara is the Latin proverb and it means whatever is rare is also expensive.

Have a nice vacation at one of the best places in the world: the Côte d'Azur.

Best regards

Lord Arran

Respond to this message   
Christof Stefaner
(no login)

I did not expect ...

September 13 2002, 1:19 AM 

... such a quick reply, which was appreciated very much!
Good morning and thank you very much, Lord Arran!

U$ 100,- seems to be a very fair offer, and surely is suited for my wallet, at least during vacation once a year.
Ah yes, omnia rara cara, I never was a genius the few years I "enjoyed" Latin, but I do understand the proverb in the context of having a passion for watches and cars, of course.

I also remember my last visit in France, Le Havre, seven years ago, which was the first holidays with a girl, who has then become my wife a year later. Nobody at the restaurant spoke any english nor german, and they also had no menu card but in french. Therefore our dinner became an, well, extraordinary package. I really can't tell any gourmet what combination it was, but it was no obstacle for my wife at least to say "yes".

By the way, I now just had a walk to the next grocery, where I got some fresh bread and Camembert, as well as some confection of pastry for an unusual solid Friday breakfeast. This way, I never will get below the one hundred kilo mark before the beginning of this vacation!

Thanks once more and very best regards,
Christof

P.S.: I never have used the dictionary so ample than the last hour, when I went through your descriptions of the dinners.

Respond to this message   
Lord Arran
(no login)

Ich habe selbst ungefähr 117 kilos (waren schon mal 121). Viel Vergnügen im Urlaub nt.

September 13 2002, 1:45 AM 

ß

Respond to this message   
Christof Stefaner
(no login)

Thanks a lot once more! (nt)

September 13 2002, 2:52 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Christof Stefaner
(no login)

One thing, which likes to jump off my tongue ...

September 13 2002, 4:18 AM 

... for the last few hours also, is the question, why this magnificent, magnificent, magnificent Villa (which would make me happy for the rest of my life) is named after the Toskana, when it actually is located at the Cote d'Azur.

More some kind of a joke than a serious question.

Bye now,
Christof

Respond to this message   

Lord Arran
(Login Lord__Arran)
Comm center

Because the style is Roman Classic and is seen very often in the Tuskany

September 13 2002, 5:55 AM 

it is also in the style of Provencale. To make it genuine we have imported used old tiles from Spain, cleaned them with a steel brush and put them on the roof.

The columns are of natural stone handcrafted.

Lord Arran

Respond to this message   

alex
(Login argg)
Industry Chat

thank you for this wonderful wrtie up it almost felt like being there.

September 13 2002, 3:18 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Saturn
(no login)

Nice write-up, Hans...

September 13 2002, 6:15 AM 

The first restaurant that you went to, Villa de Lys, looked interesting. The "Chilled tomato soup and a puff pastry twist with ham" sounds like a very nice combination, as does "Bed of mozzarella and cream cheese with basil ice-cream" (intriguing combination of textures). The "Marinated raisin crumble with fig sherbet" looked tasty (somehow seems odd to see a crumble in the South of France). The skate dish (I love skate) at L'Oasis, and the pear sherbert (what was the "surprise" element?) both looked ambrosial.

I'm glad that both yourself, Hans, and Lord and Lady Arran had a good time.

Regards,

Andrew.

Respond to this message   
ChronoCop
(no login)

If I only had my Taste&SmellCard installed !

September 14 2002, 2:48 AM 

Respond to this message   
jkingston
(no login)

Now I am REALLY Jealous!

September 14 2002, 5:14 PM 

Hans, what a magnificent write up. I am not sure that I have the fortitude for 18 dishes. Again quoting Emporer Joseph from Amadeus "too many notes". But if I did have that staying power, I can't think of a better way to do it! One challenge with that many courses is managing the wine. Oh there is one easy solution, just drink more bottles, but that has one obvious danger. What I did find interesting about the food at both places was the way in the which the region did not seemingly take charge of the food. Lamb, rouget etc. are classic local ingredients. But foie gras is not. Yet as I examined the ballad of both meals, they really did seem balanced. I really am jealous of what looks like two wonderful days! And the wines??????? Did you go local? Jeff

Respond to this message   

Lord Arran
(Login Lord__Arran)
Comm center

About the wines Hans has explained:

September 14 2002, 10:52 PM 

Les vins

What wine do you order to go with a sequence of 18 different dishes which are kept a secret from you ? We figured that champagne goes with practically everything and so started with a bottle of the crisp and delicious Laurent Perrier Rose Brut. That was followed by a bottle of Mersault from Chateau Mersault which I've had on previous occassions and very much like for it's almost Californian, oaky style. Many dishes into the meal, one of the very attentive and pleasant waiters informed us that a foie-gras dish was coming up. As we were already on the road of no return, a half bottle of eiswein from the Alsace was quickly ordered. It went perfectly with the foie gras and fig and goat cheese courses that were to follow.

Red wine with red meat is a simple rule to follow. The sommelier, who was in the know of the dishes which were about to come, recommended a Beaune 1er Cru Les Perrieres from Domaine Leroy. It proved to be an excellent choice and provided the perfect silky and spicy experience to accompagny the lamb and duck courses. I am proud to mention the fact that I passed on the after-dinner cognac that night and my liver thanked me for it. But seriously, 18 - in fact 19 - dishes sounds like terribly much to eat and three and a half bottles of wine really is a bit too much for three people. But the courses all came in small portions and the cooking at the Villa de Lys is flavorful and light and uses very little cream or butter. At the end of our four and a half hour meal we of course realized that we had eaten and drunken a lot but I never felt overfilled or even drunk for the matter.

Hoping that you agree with our choice and have a nice weekend

Lord Arran

Respond to this message   
Kav
(no login)

P E R F E C T ! nt

September 14 2002, 9:56 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Mark Seaman
(no login)

Vicarious enjoyment is better than nothing!

September 14 2002, 10:29 PM 

Thanks for the report - looked like great fun!

Respond to this message   

ei8htohms
(Login ei8htohms)
AP Discussion Group

sounds absolutely wonderful

September 18 2002, 7:09 PM 

Hello Hans and Lord Arran,

I sincerely appreciate this wonderful write-up with all the pictures. I can taste the LP Rose now (I love that champagne!).

I'd imagine the staff and other guests look at you as strangely as they do Dawn and I when we take pictures of our food. Speaking of which, I'll be posting some quick reports on a couple of nice restaurants we enjoyed in Kauai this last week. Believe me, they are nothing to compare to the ones you visited, but still worth checking out if you find yourself on that island paradise.

_john

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page