<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Single Malt

February 10 2011 at 5:32 AM
  (Login DavidEWalter)

Its been long time since I saw a posting about Single Malts.
Last week I splashed out and purchased a bottle of Aberlour a'bunadh, a cask strength Single Malt from Speyside finished in Spanish Oloroso sherry butts.
The colour is a rich, dark tan, the nose is slightly smoky with a sherry overtones, the taste is a superb creamy/ fruit sweetness.
The finish ? I strongly recommend you find a bottle and discover that for yourself

David

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

Another NON-Chill filtered distraction -- Laphroaig >>

February 10 2011, 11:33 AM 

David,

I've been a little distracted by my most recent purchase before Christmas.

A rare (for Singapore) bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask........

ml_image.2131478.jpg

48% alcohol and NOT chill-filtered. The maturation in quarter sized casks makes for more surface area contact with the oak and greater exposure to the sea air in Laphroaig's No.1 Warehouse on the seashore. What does all this mean?  I'm not an expert but the olde tonsils have been in contact with many a dram "for medicinal purposes" over the years; I suffer from the quincy, you know.  happy.gif

NOSE: Smoldering peat, sweet malt and lemons.
TASTE: Smoke to begin, sweet Malteasers in the middle.
FINISH: Very long, ending dry with smoke and cloves.

Classic Laphroaig; reminescent of the first dram I had back in 1979, and before they gentrified it for the 'lay-dees' in the 21st century. The regular Laphroaig stuff these days is like clootie dumpling......bleehhhch.

You should come to our 10th anniversary  IGOTT-2 in Las Vegas 30 May 2011; we could knock back a dram or three!

Regards,

MTF

This message has been edited by MelvynTeillolFoo on Feb 10, 2011 11:35 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login DavidEWalter)

Pics

February 10 2011, 11:51 AM 

Melvyn,
I see the game has been lifted, now I will have to take a photo of aforesaid bottle and post with more detail, I also purchased a Glenmorangie, Nectar D'or matured in Sauternes casks.
My first Single Malt was Glenfiddich way back in 1973 however my first real Single Malt was Laphroaig in early 1974, it cost a horrifying $6 at the time, I was fortunate to have commissary privileges then which enabled me to indulge in all manner of exotic beverages for medicinal purposes only (of course).

I hadn't thought of the Las Vegas event as I will be traveling a bit this year, India at the end of February, possibly Australia in July, England in September where I will be formally admitted as a Freeman of The Worshipful Company Of Clockmakers and India again at years end.

David

Respond to this message   

(no login)

One of my favorites

February 15 2011, 10:27 AM 

The quarter cask is my favorite from Laphroaig- and I own several of their expressions.

Respond to this message   

(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

Have you noticed changes

February 15 2011, 6:13 PM 

over the years....er....decades?

Good?  Bad?  Indifferent? So much smoke and iodine to start with, that it makes no difference anyway?   happy.gif

Regards, MTF

Respond to this message   

(Login watch-guy.com)
PP Discussion Group

MMMmm a few favourites

February 15 2011, 2:11 AM 

The Balvennie double wooded

Caol Islay - peaty ++

PS There is a lovely blended whisky from Ireland called Red Breast, difficult to find but worth the search

Julian

Respond to this message   

(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

Ahhh memories >>

February 15 2011, 6:20 PM 

Balvenie:  My 4th attempt at a malt whisky education (1985).  happy.gif

Caol Ila: My 1st attempt (1984) ....stillborn.  happy.gif  happy.gif   Ran back to the store (OddBins) to complaint about "being sold a pup".  Replaced with a Macallans 18 year old 1966 .......the best vintage of the 20th century....probably.

Nb.  Actually sold two pups by OddBins:  the aforesaid Caol Ila and a Langavulin. Come on! For a whisky tyro?  Really? No wonder they switched me to a Highland.

Regards,

MTF

Respond to this message   

(Login watch-guy.com)
PP Discussion Group

I hope you re-tried the Caol Isla. It is a great drop!

February 17 2011, 9:54 PM 

Julian

Respond to this message   

(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
Admin

Nope. Not been back (nt)

February 21 2011, 1:42 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Single Malt
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page