<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

And old standby and a newbie

January 27 2012 at 5:57 PM
ED-209  (Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

Met up with a small group of fellow PuristS to catch up on things after the New Year holidays. So we met up at an old standby, Lawry's Prime Rib. It's been a few years since I've been here but it was a treat to see a familiar setting and consistent food. It was exactly as I remembered it, the famous spinning salad bowl with chilled forks to start.

For our main meal what else but a juicy delicious Lawry's cut bone-in prime rib served from their shiny silver carts.
[linked image]

Medium rare with mash potatoes and gravy, creamed spinach with bits of bacon and onion, and probably the best creamed corn on planet earth! happy.gif

One of my dining companions order the huge double cut 'Beef Bowl cut' that is traditionally served to football players before the annual Rose Bowl tournament.
The prime rib was delicious and so tender that I finished my entire meal.
During dinner we talked about other restaurants in the West LA area and brought up this new Hawaiian shave ice place for dessert. My favorite place to spend holidays is Hawaii and I was excited to hear about this so we all decided to skip dessert at Lawry's and head over to Sawtelle Blvd to a small joint named Blockheads Shavery.

A short drive over past the 405 we quickly found parking and saw a number of people hanging around the store but no real wait in line.
[linked image]

Ordering was simply 1, 2, and 3 by picking a flavor of shaved ice, then toppings, and finally a sauce.

My fiance and I played it safe and ordered a strawberry flavored ice topped with mangos drizzled with mango puree sauce.
[linked image]

It was surprising at first. I was expecting a typical shaved ice with flavored syrup poured over it like Matsumoto's on the North Shore of Waikiki. However, this was completely different. It was more like sheets of shaved iced frozen yogurt and had a very creamy texture. Nothing like a regular shaved ice I've ever had in Hawaii.
But I have to admit that it was really good. I liked it much better than Pinkberry.

Here's a pic of a fellow PuristS selection with lychees:
[linked image]

It was great to meet up for dinner and discover a new dessert place.

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

Amazing that Lawry's is

January 27 2012, 8:25 PM 

also in Singapore

I have to agree that the Lawry's "spinning bowl salad" is an amazing creation.  So simple and yet effective.  Best salad ever!

We don't get creamed corn.....or at least, I don't remember it on the menu as my usual interest is in the spinach....also good.

The current Mrs MTF is partial to the 'Diamond Jim Brady' cut of beef.

We don't get the NFL Super Bowl or even the baby Rose Bowl on regualr TV here  happy.gif

Thanks for sharing,

MTF

Respond to this message   

DRMW
(Login DRMW)
AP Discussion Group

do you get....

January 27 2012, 10:16 PM 

In Singapore, do they serve prime rib with the yorshire pudding?

-MW

Respond to this message   

MelvynTeillolFoo
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

Everything

January 28 2012, 10:55 PM 

It's a standard Lawry's so we get most things on the standard menu.

I just don't remember the creamed corn probably because I order the greens.  We don't get Colyard Greens though in this climate and soil.  happy.gif

MTF

Respond to this message   
ED-209
(Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

I dined there a few years ago...

January 30 2012, 6:56 PM 

Hi MTF,
I dined there a few years ago during several business trips to Singapore back in early 2000. Had dinner at the Singapore Lawry's on Orchard Road (in a hotel?) and surprised how they reproduced the experience, the shiny silver carts, the interior furniture, the waitress uniforms and even the food.
Is prime rib popular in your town?

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

They moved...

February 1 2012, 2:48 AM 

They were in Paragon shopping mall in the 2000s but moved to Mandarin Orchard Hotel about 2 years ago when they added a mall. Montblanc and Vertu also have boutiques in the Mandarin Orchard mall.

Regards,

MTF

Respond to this message   

ThomasM
(Premier Login thepurist178)
AP Discussion Group

the Singapore outpost is among the better locations around the world but...

March 11 2012, 6:25 PM 

for whatever reason the beef at the original in BH has a flavour and texture unmatched anywhere else, no matter how true the fidelity.

even Japan! with its incredible beef like nowhere else in the world ("Wagyu" is a pale imitation for flavour and mouthfeel) isnt quite as satisfying as the original for the prime rib.

jmho

"The secret to success in life
is to keep believing in the possible,
but to focus your energies on the probable."

Respond to this message   

ThomasM
(Premier Login thepurist178)
AP Discussion Group

the amazing thing about Blockheads is...

March 11 2012, 6:28 PM 

that it is shaved, but tastes like sheets of ... yogurt, you say? it has a texture much fullernthan ice, thats for sure!

thanks for the great pics, pic. Lawry's, eh? hmmmm...

it's about dinner time...

"The secret to success in life
is to keep believing in the possible,
but to focus your energies on the probable."

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page