<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

A Hole-in-the-Wall Sushi Bar

April 8 2012 at 4:10 PM
ED-209  (Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

I've been hearing about this great sushi bar for a very long time and finally had a chance to try it out this weekend. It's a tiny hole in the wall sushi bar in the valley. It's located in a small strip mall with only a sign in front that simple say's SUSHI. I drove around in a few circles (damn Mercedes GPS LOL) before I finally made it into the parking lot.
It's a very small place with two tables in front, and a sushi bar towards the back with about 8 seats.

There's no menu and no offers to do the omakase just a plain white chalk board with the list of today's available fish (Japanese names) and a few rolls. So we asked the sushi chef for his recommendations and added a few favorites. We start with a blanched greens with bonito flakes:
[linked image]

Just a small dash of soy sauce with the greens:
[linked image]

And then comes a wide range of sushi:
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

One of my favorites of the night, (from right to left) scallops drizzled with truffle oil and gold leaf; Alaskan King crab; Alaskan Snow crab;
[linked image]

This was interesting. I've never had this before and it had a creamy texture:
[linked image]

And the other favorite dish of our meal, a trio of tuna, (from left to right) chilled chopped toro with onion and caviar; torched/seared tuna with gold leaf; tuna with green onions and a fried garlic chip:
[linked image]

Salmon sushi that has been smoked by the chef:
[linked image]

In one of the front glass displays were some huge Santa Barbara spot prawns. So we started with the roe ( I love this dish and my favorite is done by CBS Seafood restaurant in Chinatown. They have it butterflied and fried with garlic, onions, salt and pepper and the roe takes on a savory flavor):
[linked image]

One of the best aburi amaebi sushi that I've had, the spot prawn was lightly torched on top:
[linked image]

And deep fried head of the prawn. light, crispy and delicious:
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This is new to me. I didn't order one but my dining companions did. Its called hirazake and is a dried fin of the fugu blowfish that's steeped in hot sake:
[linked image]

After about a 10 minute wait the foil lid was opened to get the first aroma of the infused sake:
[linked image]

The sushi chef mentioned that we could take the dried fin home and make another hirzake with hot sake:
[linked image]

[linked image]

Maybe this is an unofficial rule for omakase in Los Angeles, but the meal ends with a blue crab hand roll. I wonder if it was Sasabune that originated this?
[linked image]

For dessert a refreshing chilled plate of sliced cherimoya, orange, raspberry and blackberries with a light drizzle of condensed milk:
[linked image]

This was a fantastic meal. Thanks to the fellow PuristS for taking me here. It's one of those places that I've heard a lot about and exceeded the expectations. I'm definitely coming back again.

Regards,
ED-209

This message has been edited by MelvynTeillolFoo on Apr 8, 2012 11:35 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

DRMW
(Login DRMW)
AP Discussion Group

wow, looks amazing!

April 8 2012, 4:19 PM 

Respond to this message   
ED-209
(Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

You gotta go

April 9 2012, 5:59 PM 

Definitely a must try. You've got to go there soon DRMW.

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

Only in L.A.

April 8 2012, 11:46 PM 

Thanks Ed for the tour.

Away from the traditional but still with traditional basic skills.

Gold leaf? Truffle Oil?  Very L.A.

On the other hand, you got uncommon seafood on some of the sushi that even sushi bars in Kanda don't get often.

I was told in Osaka that the roasted puffer-fish fin infusion would eliminate any risk of a hangover after a hirazake "blow-out" (pun intended).

Alas, it was just an urban myth or maybe a joke on the foreigner 'gaijin' because my hangover the next morning was of Godzilla AND Mothra proportions. happy.gif

This was on a whirlwind (tourbillon?) business trip with 33 presentations in 10 working days.  The hangover was NOT desired.....

Regards,

MTF

Respond to this message   
ED-209
(Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

There were a lot of new items that I haven't tried before

April 9 2012, 6:00 PM 

Hi MTF,
As mentioned in the response below by TM, these little hidden gems are a real fun find and great too. Hope you have a chance to visit L.A. again and visit some of these delicious places.

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   

ThomasM
(Premier Login thepurist178)
AP Discussion Group

That looks delish! Ed! The shirako...

April 9 2012, 5:37 AM 

looks simply amazing! and a fairly rare offering to see in a US sushi joint.

aren't these out of the way sushi joints just great little hidden treasures? just like Ginza SushiKo before they went all uptown and fancy...

a truly transcendental experience.

the hire sake there is a bit more bitter and less smokey than I've had other places.

thanks, Ed, looks wonderful!

"The secret to success in life
is to keep believing in the possible,
but to focus your energies on the probable."

Respond to this message   
ED-209
(Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

That's what it was...

April 9 2012, 5:58 PM 

Thanks TM, you're right about the shirako. I've never had it before and it was a pleasant surprise. Definitely, these out of the way hole-in-the-wall sushi places are a real gem of a find. As long as the food (and company!) are great I'm all in for it.

Hope to catch up for dinner sometime soon.

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page