<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Whiz, wit....huh, what?

June 2 2012 at 9:38 PM
ED-209  (Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

Finished up with meetings early so made a quick run for some Philly cheesesteaks before heading over to the airport for my flight out. Where to go? Of course Pat's 'King of Steaks' that claims to be the inventor of the Philly cheesesteak. Open 24/7 I asked our cab driver to make a quick detour to grab bite to eat. It's been several years since I've been here and it hasn't really changed much. The last time I was here I actually tried a cheesesteak at Pat's then walked over to Geno's across the street and tried it too.

[linked image]

I don't know why they make such a big deal about the ordering process. Basically you have to say 'wit' or 'wit-out' if you want onions. Then specify the type of cheese ( I selected the classic Cheese Whiz).

One order of the whiz, wit, with mushrooms and peppers:
[linked image]

And another for the flight home, a whiz, wit with just mushrooms:
[linked image]

One line was for ordering the cheesesteak which was made almost immediately, and then a separate line for drinks and fries:
[linked image]

Delicious! I heard from our driver that Tony Luke's was supposed to be a lot better, maybe I'll try it on my next trip.

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

I want to know two things, Ed ...

June 3 2012, 3:43 AM 

1. How do they make cheese that yellow?

2. What are Pizza Fries?

A

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

Just as it says on the label

June 3 2012, 8:47 PM 

They are fried triangles of pizza dough!

The yellow cheese whizz is a particularly American idiotsyncracy.  They get perfectly good cheddar cheese (off-white colour...oops...color) from Wisconsin and similar diary states. They crumble all that good cheese and add emulsifiers and 'stringing' agents plus that wonderful orangey-yellow colour. I'm not sure which E-number it is but here is a list of ingredients in American cheese whiz.  hey! Milk comes below rapeseed oil!

happy.gif

MTF

Ingredients:
WHEY, CANOLA OIL, MILK, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MALTODEXTRIN , SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM ALGINATE, MUSTARD FLOUR, WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE (VINEGAR, MOLASSES, CORN SYRUP, WATER, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, GARLIC POWDER, SUGAR, SPICES, TAMARIND, NATURAL FLAVOR), SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, MILKFAT, CHEESE CULTURE, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), NATURAL FLAVOR, ENZYMES.

Respond to this message   
ED-209
(Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

It's not a color found in nature...

June 4 2012, 6:32 PM 

happy.gif
Can you believe that Cheese Whiz is also available in a spray can similar to Cool Whip? Ooeey gooeey deliciousness like the cheese on nachos.... but I have have to agree with MTF that too much of this stuff can't be good.
Which reminds me, did you have a Tommy's chili burger or Pink's chili dog when you visited L.A.?

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

We had a late night supper at Tommy's

June 5 2012, 3:53 PM 

We had a very memorable late night supper at Tommy's in LA a couple of years ago. Chili dogs and double chili burgers. Photos by Alex Sunrise.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
ED-209
(Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

Nice!

June 6 2012, 6:07 PM 

Ahhhh Tommy's! Looks like you were at the original location on Beverly and Rampart.

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

That's the one ...

June 6 2012, 6:56 PM 

Even more interesting than the food was the eclectic mix of people Tommy's attracted. A real melting pot of cultures and quite a socioeconomic spread of customers. Food like this is a real leveler.

Andrew

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

Brown paper baggie

June 21 2012, 5:55 AM 

I went there with a LA foodie and gun-toting friends.

It was surreal.........

Before we entered the hotdog joint, we tarried awhile at a nearby 'liquor store'. Actually, it looked like a neighbourhood convenience store but the owner was behind bars in a safety cage!!!

My host handed over cash and small brown paper bags appeared. Later, I discovered they contained cans of weak (relative to EU) beer that we surreptitiously swigged from, between hotdog bites........seemed blatantly obvious to me.  And yet the thrill of illegality made it all the more satisfying.

happy.gif

MTF

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

One on the way to airport and One for the flight?!?

June 3 2012, 9:04 PM 

Ed,

Two Philly CS in a couple of hours???

As your friend and a physician, I need to caution you about the dreaded C.W.S. (cheese whizz syndrome).

Apart from the cholesterol, calories and salt, you have the hyperactive E-numbers to worry about.

On the other hand, they are bloody delicious.

happy.gif

MTF

Respond to this message   
ED-209
(Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

LOL, but they taste so good!

June 4 2012, 6:30 PM 

happy.gif

Seriously, now that I'm reflecting on it, I should have only bought one from Pat's, then walk over to Geno's so I can have one of each LOL.
Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page