<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

A little surprise in a box

June 11 2012 at 7:34 PM
ED-209  (Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

I discovered a new sushi place that serves a wonderful omakase course. I'll post more pics soon, but the best surprise was in the middle of the omakase course where our chef presented us with a cute little box:

[linked image]

What's the surprise inside the pretty box? A 3 course tasting of live abalone!
[linked image]

Let's take a closer look at each tasty sample. First is sliced abalone sashimi with a splash of soy sauce:
[linked image]

Then grilled abalone with a great smokey flavor :
[linked image]

And finally abalone tempura; fried crunchy deliciousness!:
[linked image]

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

Trust the chef

June 13 2012, 3:06 PM 

That looks wonderful, Ed. No wonder abalone has almost religious importance in Japanese history. Is the box part of on entire Omakase dinner or just one 'surprise' dish amongst an a la carte meal? Are the abalone locally harvested in California. You may be surprised to know that Tasmania supplies a quarter of the worlds abalone harvest. Wonderful creatures to be savoured, just as you have here.

Look forward to seeing more of the meal.

Andrew

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

Really? A quarter of the world supply?

June 16 2012, 7:10 AM 

Folks,

Sorry for my tardiness as I am travelling, with poor Internet access.

Even this is stolen time on free wi-fi.

I think I'm moving to Tasmania. Not for the abalone as I think it is almost tasteless, but for all the other great produce.

That 25% of the global supply of abalone is surprising.

I guess the waters are clean and cold with constant supply of nutrients in some Great Australian Bight current?

Regards,

MTF

Respond to this message   

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

Apparently so, but ...

June 21 2012, 3:48 AM 

... you may need to differentiate wild from farmed abalone. The Tasmanian harvest is estimated to be more than 25% of world WILD abalone production and it is predominantly the blacklip (Haliotis rubra) and greenlip (Haliotis laevigata) varieties. I adore Tasmanian produce!

Andrew

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page