<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

O'Connell Street Bistro, Auckland, New Zealand

June 13 2012 at 10:31 PM

AndrewD  (Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

[linked image]

We tried this cosy European-style bistro on our first evening visiting Auckland. Warm and knowledgeable wait staff and some good wine and food matches. The bistro has been in business for 16 years, with Chef Stephen ward at the helm for the last 12 years, so they must be getting something right!

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Oysters

[linked image]

Fish of the day

[linked image]

[linked image]

More fish ...

[linked image]

Beef

[linked image]

Duck

[linked image]

Accompaniments ...

Fig and ham salad

[linked image]

[linked image]

Desserts ...

Pudding

[linked image]

Baked Tahitian crème brulee

[linked image]

Andrew

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

I'm impressed about the kid

June 16 2012, 7:23 AM 

Andrew,

I am surprised about the duck in front of the kid.  Usually, fatty and 'meaty' duck is not the first choice of children.

Unless it is the norm in the neighbourhood (Bali), culture (nothern chinese) or family (duck farmers).  Or are you really a family of chinese duck farmers from Bali?  happy.gif

Thanks for the tour,

MTF

Respond to this message   

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

He's the decisive diner ...

June 21 2012, 3:54 AM 

While the rest of us pour over the menu, the ten-year-old knows exactly what he wants and why. And it's often the best thing on the menu! And the more exotic the better. I am proud of him, but he is costing me a fortune in restaurant bills. wink.gif He even reads foodie reviews and knows the local awarded restaurants and chefs. I should do a post on his favourite dishes one day. happy.gif

Andrew

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

We are not worthy! LOL

June 21 2012, 5:48 AM 

happy.gif

MTF

Respond to this message   

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

The Angus Steak House, Auckland

June 17 2012, 11:26 PM 

The concept at the Angus Steak House is that you choose your own steak (mostly beef, but some venison and lamb as well) and you take it to the chef who grills it to your liking. Fun concept, large cuts of good quality meat, fairly ordinary salad (but who comes here for that) and a relaxed environment.

Andrew

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Local beer ...

[linked image]

The token salad ...

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

Afghan cookies ...

June 17 2012, 11:29 PM 

I had no idea what these were until I arrived in New Zealand. Apparently a local favourite, and I can see why, but asking for an Afghan felt a little politically incorrect in this day and age! Apparently the origin of the name (and the recipe) is unclear, but this chewy biscuit made from cornflakes and cocoa and topped with chocolate icing and walnuts (or almonds) is delicious. I got used to these with my morning coffee!

First a shot of Auckland to set the scene ...

[linked image]

An Afghan, NZ style ...

[linked image]

Another local favourite is this ginger crunch sweet, savory and refreshing with an afternoon cup of tea.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

The Cock & Bull English Pub, Hamilton

June 18 2012, 9:29 PM 

Good selection of British beers and ales on tap and some good pub nosh ...

Steak and chips swimming in gravy ...

[linked image]

And a friend along for the trip ...

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

Hangi, Rotorua

June 18 2012, 9:35 PM 

The Hangi is the traditional Maori method of slow cooking using heated rocks buried in a pit oven and covered with earth. Perhaps not for the 'purist', but the 21st Century has caight up with the Hangi and this is a gas driven stainless steel outside version. Using hot rocks, however you still get the wonderful flavours trapped inside. Soft, tender and very tasty meats and vegetables ...

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Andrew

Respond to this message   

AndrewD
(Login AndrewDaley)
AP Discussion Group

Victoria Street Bistro, Hamilton

June 18 2012, 9:48 PM 

The Victoria Street Bistro was a pleasant surprise on a public holiday when many restaurants were closed. The interior is very stylish and welcoming, but family friendly. Chef Andrew Clarke produced a nicely balanced menu with some particularly tasty dessert treats.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

And a theatrcial Bombe Alaska flambeed with white sambucca. [I hope all the alcohol burned off because that dessert was for my 12-year-old!]

[linked image]

Andrew

Respond to this message   
ED-209
(Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

Some good eats in NZ

June 22 2012, 4:29 PM 

All the meals look tasty, thanks for sharing the pics.

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page